Ideas for watering holes outdoor enclosure

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi guys, I'm looking for some low tech ideas for wading pool for my RF babies in their outdoor enclosure. Can you share pics of what you have?

JHat

Deer Park, TX
I'm thinking about getting a kiddie pool or something less in diameter and filling it with rock until it's shallow enough for them.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here's a few that I'm using now... I have a couple of these of different sizes in the sulcatas area, the box turtles use them more than the sulcatas. They are a wood frame with 6 mil poly stapled around the top edge. to clean just dump out dirty water spray clean and refill with clean water.boxpond.jpgThis one I am in the process of taking apart, It worked good but I don't need it any longer.It is made of shower pan liner (from lowes ,home depot) I put a type of water iris in it that the tortoises didn't eat, there was always water in it but to get underwater the torts had to dig down into the water..yellowfootpond.jpgThis one is the same as the first one except it is more shallow, I can take the hose and spray the dirty water out and then just refill without turning it on it's side. Using shorter sides this should work fine for young redfoots.russianpond.jpg And then there is the kiddie pool, I cut a piece out for easy access, I have found that putting bricks at the entrance inside and out helps from smashing that area down and the pool last longer..bigpond.jpg For the smaller ones I also use cookie sheets, broiler pans or just about anything that holds water and they can get in and out of safely..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi guys, I'm looking for some low tech ideas for wading pool for my RF babies in their outdoor enclosure. Can you share pics of what you have?

I use the lid from a garbage toter and dig it into the ground. When it comes time to clean it, you just tip it up and hose it out.

yard_waste_toter(1).png

I called the garbage company in Fresno and asked if they had a yard where they tossed old, broken toters and after I told them what I was looking for and why, they gave me permission to go and take what I wanted.

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Here's a few that I'm using now... I have a couple of these of different sizes in the sulcatas area, the box turtles use them more than the sulcatas. They are a wood frame with 6 mil poly stapled around the top edge. to clean just dump out dirty water spray clean and refill with clean water.View attachment 178093This one I am in the process of taking apart, It worked good but I don't need it any longer.It is made of shower pan liner (from lowes ,home depot) I put a type of water iris in it that the tortoises didn't eat, there was always water in it but to get underwater the torts had to dig down into the water..View attachment 178096This one is the same as the first one except it is more shallow, I can take the hose and spray the dirty water out and then just refill without turning it on it's side. Using shorter sides this should work fine for young redfoots.View attachment 178097 And then there is the kiddie pool, I cut a piece out for easy access, I have found that putting bricks at the entrance inside and out helps from smashing that area down and the pool last longer..View attachment 178095 For the smaller ones I also use cookie sheets, broiler pans or just about anything that holds water and they can get in and out of safely..
Oh, bless your toenails for taking your time to post all this!!!! Awesome info! Great ideas. Thank you!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I use terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate for babies.
I did actually think about something along those lines, only in plastic. They have some really big ones. I'd just have to figure out something to raise the bottom. Something other than river rocks though those would probably look best. I need to be able to change water frequently due to my mosquito problem here in TX

Pearly

5 Year Member
I use the lid from a garbage toter and dig it into the ground. When it comes time to clean it, you just tip it up and hose it out.

yard_waste_toter(1).png

I called the garbage company in Fresno and asked if they had a yard where the tossed old, broken toters and after I told them what I was looking for and why, they gave me permission to go and take what I wanted.
That's a great idea! And seems easy enough. Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did actually think about something along those lines, only in plastic. They have some really big ones. I'd just have to figure out something to raise the bottom. Something other than river rocks though those would probably look best. I need to be able to change water frequently due to my mosquito problem here in TX

I don't like plastic because it is too slick under their wet feet. You don't want a baby to get leery of its water dish. Feeling unstable or slippery footing is enough to make a tortoise avoid its water source. Talking about babies here. Older, bigger tortoises can work it out just fine. I posted these in another thread. They work great for larger tortoises. I wouldn't think a RF would ever need bigger than this: http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoor-living/grills--smokers/crawfish/crawfish-platters

I buy stacks of the blue ones. Its like they are designed for my tortoises. I sink them into the ground big digging a hole for them with a small hand shovel.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I don't like plastic because it is too slick under their wet feet. You don't want a baby to get leery of its water dish. Feeling unstable or slippery footing is enough to make a tortoise avoid its water source. Talking about babies here. Older, bigger tortoises can work it out just fine. I posted these in another thread. They work great for larger tortoises. I wouldn't think a RF would ever need bigger than this: http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoor-living/grills--smokers/crawfish/crawfish-platters

I buy stacks of the blue ones. Its like they are designed for my tortoises. I sink them into the ground big digging a hole for them with a small hand shovel.
Thanks Tom. Whatever I end up getting is likely to need something porous on the bottom to make it the right depth for them. Normally I'd use nice flat river rocks but that would make a daily cleaning/water changes a nightmare, so I really appreciate your suggestions. And I will figure out some way to keep that bottom from being slippery

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
this worked pretty well for me . it's just a small cement mixing tub sunk in the ground , cut a hole with tin snips put in a shower drain , and buried a garbage can a couple feet away with holes drilled in the bottom and lower sides , covered it with a fake rock ....... i used pvc pipe and a ball valve .... didn't involve too much digging . once a year i just clean out the bottom of the garbage can .......
DSCF2113.jpg

DSCF2112.jpg

DSCF2110.jpg

DSCF2111.jpg

DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hey Mark, this is great! But maybe "simple" to you, more complicated for me. I maybe able to revisit your pictures sometime when my brother comes here, if he ever does for more then just one overnight. He's very handy with tools. My husband likes them too, but i guess he likesmore the idea of having them just to be able to use for some odd off the wall project that may pop up once in a decade:) but he will never do anything involving my garden or the pets. He's just not a tinkering type, neither am I. My brother though would orobably read your post, look at your pics and i'd have this thing installed before I had dinner made that day:) so thank you for the detailed description and visuals. Some day, some day:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm thinking about getting a kiddie pool or something less in diameter and filling it with rock until it's shallow enough for them.
I need something that I can tip over and dump water daily to keep mosquito eggs out. Good way to do it would be a little ecosystem, self sustaining body of water with live animals in there, little mosquito eating fish etc.., but I'm not going to be able to do that , so something smaller, portable.

JHat

Deer Park, TX
I need something that I can tip over and dump water daily to keep mosquito eggs out. Good way to do it would be a little ecosystem, self sustaining body of water with live animals in there, little mosquito eating fish etc.., but I'm not going to be able to do that , so something smaller, portable.

I'm thinking after I saw tom's crawfish tray thing I'd just use a couple of those, to be honest.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
At HomeDepot they have water heater leak savers. These go under a water heater incase your water heater should leak. They are different sizes with a pvc thread drain pipe on one side. These are about 2"-3" wall height and somewhat ridged. They work well for me and the bigger guys. To clean them I just tip them up and dump and refill.