Idea's for soaking tray.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Opo has grown out of his soaking tray. I am looking for something 3 to 4 inches deep.
I would like it about 2' x 3'.
Been surfing the web with no luck.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I could make something out of concrete, but my luck he wouldn't use it.
Opo is 85lbs, anyone else out there solved this problem?
20230522_131946.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For soaking, I like concrete mixing tubs or horse troughs. Kiddie pools work too, but those are so flimsy. They shouldn't be able to climb out of a soaking tray or tub.
IMG_3183.JPG

For drinking, I found these pizza dough trays to work well. I sink them into the ground, and they are food grade plastic:
IMG_0123.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
For soaking, I like concrete mixing tubs or horse troughs. Kiddie pools work too, but those are so flimsy. They shouldn't be able to climb out of a soaking tray or tub.
View attachment 358635

For drinking, I found these pizza dough trays to work well. I sink them into the ground, and they are food grade plastic:
View attachment 358636
My problem is I can't lift Opo. What I am using now he can get in and out by himself.
Where did you find pizza dough trays?

zovick

10 Year Member!
My problem is I can't lift Opo. What I am using now he can get in and out by himself.
Where did you find pizza dough trays?
Could you get him onto a piece of plywood or a board and lift up on it enough to slide him into the water?

ryan57

PA
How about a dog wading pool the smallest one is 36" accross and 6" deep
View attachment 358630
Cut an appropriate height entrance and you're good. I wouldn't bury and build a ramp because of the potential to get/fall into water too deep unless you blocked the deep end off. As I'm thinking it out, personally, I would just bury at a slight angle and cut the edge flush to the ground and fill/rinse with a hose.

Kymberlyn

Southern Ohio - Zone 6b
Opo has grown out of his soaking tray. I am looking for something 3 to 4 inches deep.
View attachment 358628
Tractor Supply sells a rubber tray in various sizes and 3-4” deep. Search Rabbit cage liner. It’s sturdy and lightweight. Google might show other stores but I bought mine at Tractor Supply.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Could you get him onto a piece of plywood or a board and lift up on it enough to slide him into the water?
That is a idea, lucky my good arm is strong enough to do that.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Tractor Supply sells a rubber tray in various sizes and 3-4” deep. Search Rabbit cage liner. It’s sturdy and lightweight. Google might show other stores but I bought mine at Tractor Supply.
Thank you, I found a tray on Amazon but they want 60.00 for a peice of plastic. I will try tractor supply.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had some giant aluminum food service trays that were excellent. (Back when i had way too many RF)
I have no photos.
I gave them all to Ryan at Southern Reptiles a few years ago.
I now use a combination of hand formed cement pools and 18" plastic plant saucers.

Attachments

• 20230622_144324.jpg
    20230622_144324.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 4

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I had some giant aluminum food service trays that were excellent. (Back when i had way too many RF)
I have no photos.
I gave them all to Ryan at Southern Reptiles a few years ago.
I now use a combination of hand formed cement pools and 18" plastic plant saucers.
Thanks I will check out Southern reptiles.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Cut an appropriate height entrance and you're good. I wouldn't bury and build a ramp because of the potential to get/fall into water too deep unless you blocked the deep end off. As I'm thinking it out, personally, I would just bury at a slight angle and cut the edge flush to the ground and fill/rinse with a hose.
Thanks, I will check them out. I had a kiddie pool I used when I could lift Opo. It ended up getting holes in it, I think from when he finally learned to crawl out. I would think the dog pool would have a thicker bottom.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
View attachment 358628
You could build a frame out of 2x4s and get some shower pan liner and staple or use roofing nails to secure it to the wooden frame. I made one years ago and made it wide enough so I could get a push broom into it for cleaning. If you want it to be a little deeper than the 2x4s just dig a divit under the pan liner. I used the broom to push the dirty water out. Only secure the rubber on the top of the 2x4s that will give you more rounded corners all around, easier to clean.

GreekPip

Fareham Hampshire
View attachment 358628
A boot tray maybe?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks, I will check them out. I had a kiddie pool I used when I could lift Opo. It ended up getting holes in it, I think from when he finally learned to crawl out. I would think the dog pool would have a thicker bottom.
You mightve misunderstood.
I gave them to Ryan for his own use with his massive collection.
I did read it the correct way. I thought you meant to use the word got instead of gave.🤣