Ideas for Hermanns outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
Hello,

I'm possibly getting a hermanns tort. We rent our house so we don't plan on being here forever, maybe another 2yrs or so. I'd like ideas or pics of outdoor pens that are inexpensive. I've got a huge yard, it's not fenced in but it would be perfect for a tort pen. I'd also need to know what would be best to put on top to keep any predators out.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi JR Exotics:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx where in the world you are?

Its really pretty easy to make an outdoor enclosure, and since you're renting, it would be pretty easy to make one that is portable. I like to use cinderblocks. For a Hermann's tortoise, you can go with two blocks high. If you use the house or a fence as one wall, you won't need so many blocks.

Another idea is to use those portable dog fences. Trouble with those though, is that the tortoise can see through to the other side and is always trying to get out.

Take a look through our enclosure section. There are many ideas and pictures there for you to look at.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne, you can call me Jess. :) I live in Pennsylvania, more towards Philadelphia.

I was checking out the enclosure section, there are a lot of different looking outdoor enclosures.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
An outdoor enclosure is nothing more than a box on the ground to contain the tortoise. So how extravagent you want to make it depends upon what you want to look at. Blocks work well, can be laid up loose without mortar for easy disassembly. A wooden enclosure can be built with the sides buried a few inches in the ground or with a bottom, in facing lip. Hermann's tortoises are not at all diggers so burrowing under really isn't a concern with them. But having the sides of the enclosure in the ground adds a little extra security. If domestic or wild animals (or kids) are a concern then a secure, lockable mesh top is a good idea too. Most importantly the enclosure should be in an area that gets as much sun as possible and is not prone to flooding or general dampness.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
I have a good spot, right by our house that gets full sun all day. I would just have to clean it up a bit and put down some nice substrate. What should I use for a hide?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
JR Exotics said:
I have a good spot, right by our house that gets full sun all day. I would just have to clean it up a bit and put down some nice substrate. What should I use for a hide?
Outdoors I would use multiple shelters (hides). Each of my outdoor enclosures has a 3' x 3' fiberglass roof shelter located in the northwest corner so that when the sun first comes up in the east it shines into the shelter and continues to shine on it while the sun is in the south throughout the mid day. The shelter is full of straw for insulation from extreme heat and cold. Along with the main shelter each enclosure has a tunnel about 2' long under ground made of 12" corrugated plastic pipe cut in half and buried. Other shelters consist of large tussocks of grass that I let grow up and drape back down to the ground. The tortoises like to hide under the overhanging grass on hot days.
The tortoises don't care much about what the shelters are made of as long as it gives them protection from temperature extremes and heavy rains.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You have gotten great advise alreay so I will just say welcome to the forum...

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
The Hermann's I'm possibly getting is a baby and the outdoor pen area I have is big. Is that okay? I know with some critters, they get stressed out in large environments, and I'm new to the tortoise world, lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jess:

I think as long as there are plenty of hiding places and visual barriers, he will be ok. Baby tortoises are prey, and wide open spaces will make him pretty nervous.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
Okay, maybe I'll half the pen area and as he grows, I'll open it up. I may just do the rubbermaid thing for now, just so he's safe and I can keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating and all. I will take him outside though as much as possible. I'm a stay at home mom so I can go outside while my son naps.

Status
Not open for further replies.