Ideas for a Substrate

vargasmelissa

5 Year Member
So I am thinking of changing my substrate right now it is kind of a mixture of things a bit of potting soil, coconut bark substrate, and repti-bark substrate. I don't like the soil or the coconut because it makes his water dirty when he soaks or uses his water dish which he likes to stick his front feet in to take a drink he gets them dirty and gross and he won't drink out of his water dish if it is too dirty.So i am looking at maybe more of a bark like substrate or maybe something that doesn't stick to him I do like the repit-bark but it can be pricey. I wouldn't mind having something that would help increase his humidity as well so that i wouldn't have to constantly spray his container. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
He's going to get anything into his water dish. Put pieces of slate or large pebbles around the dish so that most of the dirt will fall off on them instead of going into the water.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I recommend a humidifier if you don't like to spray down the enclosure. You can get a cheap one from anywhere and attach a tube to it to lead it into your tortoises enclosure. These guys need around 80% humidity to be comfortable. Yes, substrate plays a role in keeping the humidity up, but there are other factors as well. If you have an open/screened top, I would recommend closing it up with something to keep the heat and humidity in.

Also, your tortoises water will never be clean, regardless of the substrate. The only difference is that you will have bark in your water and not soil :) I'd say my tortoise likes dirty water, because every time I clean it, she steps in it with her dirty feet. I gave up a long time ago.