Can't find a suitable substrate

lauraespinosa01

Looking good!
You can set up a system where your heat lamps turn off if an optimum temp is reached and click back on again if they need to heat again. You'll need a thermostat to monitor this. I have a temperature gradient across my enclosure too which is advised. I also have 3 different thermostats monitoring temp under the heat lamp and 2 more thermostats- one in his sleeping area and one down the cooler end. Might be worth looking into this if you're concerned it will get too hot.

How high up is your uvb lamp? Also are you measuring temp at tortoise level?

Thanks!

Yes, I measure the temp at tort level and I usually only have one CHE on so there is a gradient. I ordered a thermostat from Amazon but have to wait for someone coming from the States to bring it to me. Fortunately I work from home so in the meantime I can monitor pretty much all day. We probably won't have any cool weather here until next May though anyway!

I haven't measured the height of the UVB lamp yet. I need to find the box with the instructions. But my husband installed it so that it is easy to adjust up/down. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do that! :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
The water dish looks to me to be too big and too hazardous...you could just sink it down on a level with the ground and put some rocks in it. That will be safer for them, so I have learned by my own experience and what is advised on here. Lovely enclosure!