Ideal weight/quantity of orchard to feed

niraj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
My Aldabra is 4 years old. I have recently imported a 25 lb bag of Oxbow Orchard Grass from USA as the same is not available my country. I have tried to grow it here but am unable to grow sufficient quantity inspite of repeated attempts more probably because of weather conditions.

@ALDABRAMAN and other experts have recommended Orchard Grass Hay as the best diet on this forum earlier for Aldabras.

I request the experts to advise how much quantity/ weight of Orchard Grass is advisable to feed 4 year old tortoise per day. This is more particularly because I have to import it which takes a lot of time to arrive and I would wish to order well in advance.

Thank you.

R

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not expert, but have read a lot of Aldabra care and use to ask all kinds of questions.
Seeing he should be able to graze on and off all day, you need to have an endless supply of food available throughout the day. Hay, grass, weeds, cactus pads, mazuri tortoise diet, all should be a part of its diet. If you have to add store bought greens, add ridicchio, arugula, dandelion to name a few
Our Aldabra expert is Aldabraman, but he doesn't post much anymore when it comes to answering questions.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
That would be a tough question to answer. Most people feeding hay to Aldabras in the US would be buying Orchard Grass by the bale rather than in a bag by weight. We buy 3 string bales which weigh around 100lbs but I have no idea how long it lasts because we feed it to other animals as well.

It seems like importing it would be a huge hassle. Do you have access to any other grass hay? I don't think people in the US use orchard because of its nutritional value. Rather it is just a readily available grass hay that is palatable (no stems/sticks, soft, good smell).

@wellington is right, it should have access to the hay at all times during the day if it is the main food source. It shouldn't be allowed to get wet though.

Reactions: Tom

niraj

5 Year Member
India
That would be a tough question to answer. Most people feeding hay to Aldabras in the US would be buying Orchard Grass by the bale rather than in a bag by weight. We buy 3 string bales which weigh around 100lbs but I have no idea how long it lasts because we feed it to other animals as well.

It seems like importing it would be a huge hassle. Do you have access to any other grass hay? I don't think people in the US use orchard because of its nutritional value. Rather it is just a readily available grass hay that is palatable (no stems/sticks, soft, good smell).

@wellington is right, it should have access to the hay at all times during the day if it is the main food source. It shouldn't be allowed to get wet though.
Thank you for the response. A European brand named "Chipsi Sunshine" is available here which sells meadow hay and Timothy hay. It is available at less than half the price of importing Oxbow Orchard hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the response. A European brand named "Chipsi Sunshine" is available here which sells meadow hay and Timothy hay. It is available at less than half the price of importing Oxbow Orchard hay.
Timothy hay is too stemmy.

Are you buying actual hay, or hay pellets? If using pellets, then Timothy is fine because those stems are ground up.

Any type of grass that will grow for you there will work. It doesn't have to be orchard grass. How about Bermuda grass? St. Augustine? Whatever wild grasses you have growing there? Do they sell pasture grass seed for grazing animals there?

niraj

5 Year Member
India
Timothy hay is too stemmy.

Are you buying actual hay, or hay pellets? If using pellets, then Timothy is fine because those stems are ground up.

Any type of grass that will grow for you there will work. It doesn't have to be orchard grass. How about Bermuda grass? St. Augustine? Whatever wild grasses you have growing there? Do they sell pasture grass seed for grazing animals there?
Thank you for your response. I am buying hay. Relevant links are posted below for your kind reference;

Oxbow Animal Health Orchard Grass Hay, 25-Pound

Chipsi Sunshine Meadow Hay for Rodents (10 Kg)

Chipsi Sunshine Timothy Hay for Rodents, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Hamster (10Kg)

https://amzn.eu/d/hDHghc0

It is pertinent to note that Mazuri Low Starch Tortoise Diet has Timothy Hay as it's main ingredient.

Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your response. I am buying hay. Relevant links are posted below for your kind reference;

Oxbow Animal Health Orchard Grass Hay, 25-Pound

Chipsi Sunshine Meadow Hay for Rodents (10 Kg)

Chipsi Sunshine Timothy Hay for Rodents, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Hamster (10Kg)

https://amzn.eu/d/hDHghc0

It is pertinent to note that Mazuri Low Starch Tortoise Diet has Timothy Hay as it's main ingredient.

Thank you.
Timothy hay is not bad to feed, it's just too woodsy, like hard sticks when used as it's natural hay form. In pellets or in mazuri it's fine. An adult Aldabra could probably eat the Timothy easier then a young one. But if you can get other softer hays, why not.