Types of Hay

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I have used Timothy hay and orchard grass mostly for my sulcata. I’m trying to save some money and looking for orchard hay at the feed store but I’m having no luck around here. I prefer orchard hay to Timothy. I did find coastal hay sold by the square bales. It is made from Bermuda grass. Has anyone used that? It’s more expensive but still cheaper than buying tons of bags of orchard grass.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Lots of horses and cattle around my area. So lots of hay choices. Timothy hay is way to stemmy and stiff. Orchard grass is one I do like. Around here they also sell a lot of what they simply call "Grass Hay". That is my favorite and it happens to be the least expensive. A bale is around $12.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Lots of horses and cattle around my area. So lots of hay choices. Timothy hay is way to stemmy and stiff. Orchard grass is one I do like. Around here they also sell a lot of what they simply call "Grass Hay". That is my favorite and it happens to be the least expensive. A bale is around $12.
Thanks. I found the grass hay for $11.50 and Coastal for $13.95. I think I’ll mix them together. Excited to start saving some money.