Idea to Protect Corners of Indoor Enclosure

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
When we built our wooden tortoise table, we knew that our Russian would burrow into the corners and destroy the plastic sheeting that we lined the table with. So we moved some of our flagstone rocks over to the corners and that has seemed to stop him from ripping it with his claws. He loves to burrow into the corners and I was so worried he might suffocate on the lining (since he burrowed through it!). But now, the flat rocks are too heavy for him to burrow under. (And he has two log hides to feel safe in.) One day, we'll switch out the substrate and put down a new sheet of the plastic lining so there won't be any corner holes, but for now these rocks have been working pretty well. I'd like to get a couple more smaller flagstone rocks to put in his enclosure, for him to walk and climb on (as soon as the landscaping place opens!). Anyway, just passing on the tip! :tort:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oxalis said:
When we built our wooden tortoise table, we knew that our Russian would burrow into the corners and destroy the plastic sheeting that we lined the table with. So we moved some of our flagstone rocks over to the corners and that has seemed to stop him from ripping it with his claws. He loves to burrow into the corners and I was so worried he might suffocate on the lining (since he burrowed through it!). But now, the flat rocks are too heavy for him to burrow under. (And he has two log hides to feel safe in.) One day, we'll switch out the substrate and put down a new sheet of the plastic lining so there won't be any corner holes, but for now these rocks have been working pretty well. I'd like to get a couple more smaller flagstone rocks to put in his enclosure, for him to walk and climb on (as soon as the landscaping place opens!). Anyway, just passing on the tip! :tort:

Do you have some cheap plastic pot that originally contain the the small tree or bushes that you bought from Home Depot or nursery shop?

I cut it in 1/2 by using a large scissor, and then secure the 1/2 pot at the corner of your table on top of the plastic liner.

Maybe my picture below are not the best illustration and not used in the indoor table but I hope you get the idea. I don't think the claw of the Russian Tortoise can dig through that.

IMG_0877.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
bouaboua said:
Oxalis said:

Do you have some cheap plastic pot that originally contain the the small tree or bushes that you bought from Home Depot or nursery shop?

I cut it in 1/2 by using a large scissor, and then secure the 1/2 pot at the corner of your table on top of the plastic liner.

Maybe my picture below are not the best illustration and not used in the indoor table but I hope you get the idea. I don't think the claw of the Russian Tortoise can dig through that.

LOL! What a great picure! You should have submitted that for the calendar!

I do something similar to keep my sulcata babies from climbing in the corners only I use the garden edging and cut it to size and then bury it in the substrate about an inch. The Russians I have will dig at it and then give up and find easier digging spots. I also found a heavy duty plastic tarp that they can not punch through just in case. Rocks would worry me outdoors because Russian tortoises are part squirel and can climb anything!