ID help please

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
I was hoping the one with frilly edges was mallow but doesn't look to be.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396115147.873089.jpg
Also this one with the white flower is everywhere.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396115190.907582.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first picture - there are so many different weeds that look like this, and some of them are not edible...creeping charlie, carolina geranium, henbit. Your best bet is to take a sample to your Ag Cooperative Extension office and see if they can I.D. it for you.

The second one is a daisy. Some daisies are edible and some are not. Find a picture of yours on the tortoisetable.com site

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Yvonne G said:
The first picture - there are so many different weeds that look like this, and some of them are not edible...creeping charlie, carolina geranium, henbit. Your best bet is to take a sample to your Ag Cooperative Extension office and see if they can I.D. it for you.

The second one is a daisy. Some daisies are edible and some are not. Find a picture of yours on the tortoisetable.com site

Thanks Yvonne! I'll just stay away from both.

redbeef

5 Year Member
That first one looks a lot like some of the weeds my grandmother had in her garden when I was a kid...and she lived in the pacific northwest as well...it looks to be close to putting up a flower, if you can get a clear picture of the flower once it blooms, I might be able to tell if it's a type of geranium or not.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
It does kind of look like geranium leaves... I don't remember it flowering last year but I'll watch.

What about this? Know what this is? It looks nummy.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396315464.381768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
redbeef said:
That first one looks a lot like some of the weeds my grandmother had in her garden when I was a kid...and she lived in the pacific northwest as well...it looks to be close to putting up a flower, if you can get a clear picture of the flower once it blooms, I might be able to tell if it's a type of geranium or not.

you're right about it being a geranium! It's called Dovefoot Geranium (geranium molle) the tortoise table doesn't have anything on it though.

tortnmutt said:
It does kind of look like geranium leaves... I don't remember it flowering last year but I'll watch.

What about this? Know what this is? It looks nummy.

I thought it looked nummy for a reason! It's edible for people.. so-so for torts..

Common name : Miner's Lettuce (Winter Purslane, Miners Lettuce)
Latin name : Claytonia perfoliata, syn. Montia perfoliata
Family name : Portulacaceae

Although there are said to be no known hazards with Miner’s Lettuce, it comes from a family where most of the plants contain high levels of oxalic acid, which binds with calcium and prevents the animal from absorbing it. There are reports that Miner’s Lettuce (Winter Purslane) has a lower level of oxalic acid than other members of its family, and although it is eaten by humans, it has not been tested on tortoises, so until further research has been done we would advise caution and say to feed in moderation only, and as part of a wider, varied diet.