Ibera Greek tortoise

kaitiejane

I have a Greek hatchling and was wondering if anyone knew the growth rate of this species. I've had mine for a little over three months and I was just curious on how quickly they usually grow.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Check out the Greek tortoise specific section, the care sheets might be able to give you some ideas. Although I think it is hard to make an estimate, it depends on the individual tortoise, environment, and the care it is given.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a lot of things that make it almost impossible to tell the growth rate of any tortoise. The main ones, diet, hydration, and husbandry

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If you keep them naturally, feed only weeds and let them brumate, they will grow very slow and hopefully live a very long life. If you keep them awake the whole year and only feed dog food, they will grow VERY fast and die soon.

kaitiejane

I was just curious because I have a hatchling that I've had almost 4 months and I can tell he's stronger than what he used to be, but he has only gained .4 ounces and I don't know if that's normal growth!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
0.4 ounces - that's 11g, right? That would be quite a lot for a hatchling.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Thank you! what age is yours?
No problem :) sadly, I got mine from petsmart (i did so much research before getting him, but I guess I missed the fact that you shouldn't get them from pet stores) so I don't know. A few days ago was our "2 year anniversary" (can't think of anything else to call it....) but I'm guessing about 4 years :)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
.04! Sorry!
Don't worry, winter is not their normal growing time and he seems to be at least one year old, so he is not a hatchling anymore and growing even slower.

He is a beautiful little guy, but keep an eye on the pyramiding. :)

kaitiejane

Don't worry, winter is not their normal growing time and he seems to be at least one year old, so he is not a hatchling anymore and growing even slower.

He is a beautiful little guy, but keep an eye on the pyramiding. :)
What! How can you tell he's at least a year?! I got him in December and was told he was 1-3 months!!!

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I have an ibera Greek with a hatch date of Feb. 2 who weighs 27grams. The day I got her (March 11th) she was 23 grams. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427983179.187400.jpg
Here she is this morning.