Greek Ibera Runny nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, I have a Greek Ibera male, he has a very slight runny nose, it is warm here I am in No Cal, temps at night have been about 60, should I take him to the vet? I dont want to panic but I know how quickly they get sick, recommendations from anyone out there?

Thanks,

Janet

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Janet, how old is your Ibera? Could he have just drank before you noticed his nose. Is he blowing bubbles? Can you explain more what you consider slight runny nose?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Based on the limited information that you gave us, I would say if he's still active, behave and eat regularly, then I wouldn't worry too much.

If you go to the vet, just make sure that you go to an experienced one as some of them rarely handle tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
techiegrl said:
I have a Greek Ibera male, he has a very slight runny nose, it is warm here I am in No Cal, temps at night have been about 60, should I take him to the vet?

It is my OPINION that we are too quick to jump to the conclusion that a slightly runny nose, or a few bubbles in the nostrils means the tortoise is sick. This is what I do and it works for me: If I see a runny nose or bubbles, I keep a close watch on the tortoise. If it is still eating and otherwise acting normal, I just leave it alone. No handling or bothering...just let it be a tortoise. If the mucous turns thick or changes color, or if the tortoise stops eating, THEN I take the tortoise to the vet or administer antibiotics. Nine times out of ten, the runny nose goes away on its own. Sometimes too much handling causes stress and stress shows itself (in one way) as a runny nose.

Yvonne

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
techiegrl said:
I have a Greek Ibera male, he has a very slight runny nose, it is warm here I am in No Cal, temps at night have been about 60, should I take him to the vet?

It is my OPINION that we are too quick to jump to the conclusion that a slightly runny nose, or a few bubbles in the nostrils means the tortoise is sick. This is what I do and it works for me: If I see a runny nose or bubbles, I keep a close watch on the tortoise. If it is still eating and otherwise acting normal, I just leave it alone. No handling or bothering...just let it be a tortoise. If the mucous turns thick or changes color, or if the tortoise stops eating, THEN I take the tortoise to the vet or administer antibiotics. Nine times out of ten, the runny nose goes away on its own. Sometimes too much handling causes stress and stress shows itself (in one way) as a runny nose.

Yvonne

Hi Everyone,

He is eating just fine he seems to be acting pretty normal. He is 6 yr old. I just soaked him over the weekend and maybe that stressed him out. He is way more shy than the female I have. He is not blowing bubbles or congested. what I mean by slightly runny is when you hold him up close you can see that his nose is a bit wet, not dripping or anything if I wipe it off it will get a little wet again. I will take everyone's advice and just watch him as I dont want to go to the vet only to have to put him on antibiotics and he seems just fine otherwise. Thanks a bunch for all your replies really helps. I have included a picture for everyone to see.

Thanks I will let everyone know how he is doing.

Janet

Attachments

• Greek.jpg
    Greek.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 44

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
techiegrl said:
techiegrl said:

Yvonne

Hi Everyone,

He is eating just fine he seems to be acting pretty normal. He is 6 yr old. I just soaked him over the weekend and maybe that stressed him out. He is way more shy than the female I have. He is not blowing bubbles or congested. what I mean by slightly runny is when you hold him up close you can see that his nose is a bit wet, not dripping or anything if I wipe it off it will get a little wet again. I will take everyone's advice and just watch him as I dont want to go to the vet only to have to put him on antibiotics and he seems just fine otherwise. Thanks a bunch for all your replies really helps. I have included a picture for everyone to see.

Thanks I will let everyone know how he is doing.

Janet

Update for everyone! My Male Ibera is doing great no more runny nose! thanks to all who responded. These forums are super helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.