Ibera Greek Tortoise care

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozzie45

5 Year Member
I have a less than a year old Ibera Greek tortoise and I'm not sure how much to feed it. I keep hearing a lot of different answers but most of them are for adult tortoises.
I also know that your supposed to feed them a lot of weeds and wildflowers but there aren't very much where I live so what are some things that you can get at a grocery store or grow that's healthy?
Also, I would like to keep him outside year round because he is happier but it gets to be in the low 50s during the late fall and winter and I don't know what heating solutions I should use.

Jordannn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spring,TX
mozzie45 said:
I have a less than a year old Ibera Greek tortoise and I'm not sure how much to feed it. I keep hearing a lot of different answers but most of them are for adult tortoises.
I also know that your supposed to feed them a lot of weeds and wildflowers but there aren't very much where I live so what are some things that you can get at a grocery store or grow that's healthy?
Also, I would like to keep him outside year round because he is happier but it gets to be in the low 50s during the late fall and winter and I don't know what heating solutions I should use.
--Well how much you feed it depends on how big it is. Measure it in cm and get back to me! usually I would give it a small portion and if it eats it all give it more:D
--About the weeds... You can feed them about anything you can find just NO ICEBERG LETTUCE! it kills them:( try too keep all plants with pesticides or any other toxic chemical away! most store bought plants have them so try to grow your own weeds or try to find wildflower seeds and grow those to assure no pesticides.
--Always have an outside cage and an inside cage. Surprisingly the inside cage can be about anything. To be completely honest I keep my tortoise in a very large Tupperware bin and there is nothing wrong with that! its a money saving solution and it doesn't effect the tortoise in anyway. back to the point... you need and inside and outside cage. during the summer keep your tortoise outside but during the winter by a heat lamp and keep your tortoise inside all winter. you can occasionally take him outside but if its to cold don't! There is no problem with keeping him inside all winter because a heat lamp mocks the sun so it wouldn't do any harm on the tortoise health wise. Its perfectly safe to keep them inside all winter!:cool:
--Hope this really helped:shy:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi mozzie45, and welcome to the Forum!!

Since your tortoise is less than a year old, you should offer him a nice, big pile of greens and weeds about as big as he is. If he eats it all and is looking for more, then you didn't offer him enough. If he eats and leaves quite a bit, then you gave him too much. However, I leave it there and my tortoises go back to eat throughout the day. By the end of the day, its pretty dried up and yucky looking, but they still eat it.

Too much is always better than not enough, far as I'm concerned.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372179381.692932.jpg indoor. ImageUploadedByTortForum1372179407.976445.jpg outdoor.

I'm still working on the outdoor. Needs more weed and other plants for source of food. I like to soak my pellets or mazuri for when I feed Squirtl... He loves it! ImageUploadedByTortForum1372179566.662186.jpg

Just to add, Im growing clovers and other weeds so I know it's not filled with chemical. I actually bought the testudo seed mix. Ill let you know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.