I was asked to share my gang

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
I was asked in a thread posted in the Sulcata section to share my group of RTs with you all. Well,, here it goes. :)

Mort, I got from Petsmart, he looked so sad sitting in the tank all alone. The store had made a mistake in pricing and I got him for around a hundred bucks less than what he should have been. So a simple error is what got me to where I am today. lol forum6.jpg

I admit, I pulled a newbie mistake and thought Mort needed companions, saw a pair being sold on Craigslist and picked up Shella and George. The lady said George was a rescue, he had been held most of his life in a 10 gal tank being fed crickets and worms. His shell is still in rough shape but I'm doing my best to get him fixed up. forum4.jpg forum5.jpg

They had been living in wood shavings, I gave their enclosure both of the enclosures a make over. Here is George and Shella's. tortbox1.jpg

Shella laid 2 eggs on 2/2/14 and as far as I can tell, the eggs are coming along ok. (their first batch I didn't do something right and they didn't make it :( ) Near as I can tell, they're due to hatch around early to mid April. *keep your fingers crossed!* forum3.jpg

And new to the gang is Spartacus the baby Sulcata. :) forum2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
You got to keep us posted of the progress.

Congratulations! ! ! ! !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. Looks like you have a great group. That egg is fertile and developing, so fingers crossed. I predict more female Russians in your future... :)

jordo6668

5 Year Member
Do they have to be out side to lay eggs or how to you get them to breed?

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
jordo6668 said:
Do they have to be out side to lay eggs or how to you get them to breed?

She's laid her eggs in the enclosure both times. She was gravid when I bought them and I didn't realize it. I wasn't prepared with the first batch, had no idea what I was doing and they didn't make it. This batch is so far so good. :D

Thanks all! I'll be sure to post pics when they hatch. :D

Btw, I took a short vid of the eggs being candled, it's on Youtube under TwistedWhispers2 if you'd like to see it. Search for Russian Tortoise eggs- Laid on 2/2/14

tortgrl

What substrate do you have in your RT enclosure? Would it work outside? How deep is your substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
tortgrl said:
What substrate do you have in your RT enclosure? Would it work outside? How deep is your substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

On the bottom of the enclosure is a layer of wood chip bedding (what the original owner had them living in :( ), then a layer of top soil and on top is a thick layer of coconut coir. All together its probab 4-5 inches deep, which still isn't deep enough but it's what I had to work with. As far as outside,, I honestly don't know. I kinda doubt it would work very well tho, it's pretty light weight and would probably blow/wash away eventually.

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
One of the eggs hatched while I was at work yesterday!! I've dubbed the lil guy, Dinky. :) The other egg was doing great, then around 5-6 weeks it stopped developing.

Attachments

• dinky1.jpg
    dinky1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Dinky.jpg
    Dinky.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 87

pandio

Boise, ID.
Dinky is very handsome 😀 sorry the other one didn't make it though 😢

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's great news. Congratulations.

He needs his own thread now so we can watch him grow up.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Beautiful! All of em!