I wanna get 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! I did my research and I def. want a Hermanns. I plan on getting 2 babies. The question I have is what would you rec. Male & Female, M&M, or F&F? I realize that if there is any sign of aggression I will have to seperate them, but I was just wondering what people rec. from their experience! Thanks for your time!:D

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi and Welcome!!
Can't help you with your Hermanns, but want to see the 21 Parrots please!!!
NA

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Congratulations on your prospective additions. :D

Just remember that hatchlings are fragile, and vulnerable to illness and injury. It's so heartbreaking to remember the dozens of threads I've seen on TFO just over the last six months, where the hatchling tortoise has not survived that first six months of life.

You may want to consider juveniles instead, but either way, we look forward too seeing photos of your munchkins when they arrive. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is no guarantee that two hatchlings would be the sex you want them to be.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Stephanie Logan said:
Just remember that hatchlings are fragile, and vulnerable to illness and injury. It's so heartbreaking to remember the dozens of threads I've seen on TFO just over the last six months, where the hatchling tortoise has not survived that first six months of life.

You may want to consider juveniles instead, but either way, we look forward too seeing photos of your munchkins when they arrive. ;)
I didn't know that when I got my 10 week old Russian hatchling!! Thank God he was always a good eater, etc. He's 9-months old now and I still freak out at every little thing :rolleyes: (Can you imagine how I will be when I have human children? Yikes)

emysemys said:
There is no guarantee that two hatchlings would be the sex you want them to be.

Yep, that's what I was about to say. You won't know for sure until the tort is full grown.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My Hermann hatchlings have been very hardy - even survived a near drowning incident with no respiratory problems (I'm still thanking God for this!) I have several adult Hermann's and have found that as long as the habitat is large enough (mine are outside in a heavily planted enclosure) there is no aggression. So - what I'm saying is - if you keep them in a large enough area you don't have to worry about aggression with either sex. If you do go with hatchlings, I suggest two. Hermann's are great tortoises - so much personality and a pleasure to care for! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.