What to put in enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazzlezz

5 Year Member
Hi!
I'm adopting 2 hermanns, one male, one female and both are 7 years old.
They have always lived together before and there have never been any aggression I'm told.

My dad is making a tortoise table for them and in wondering what I should get to put in it?

Of course water dish but what else?
Someone said cactus were good for them but what type?
Also what substrate is best for them and what else can I put in?

What makes a good hide?

Can I put some plants in?

Thanks so much guys and will post a picture when it's finished :)
Charlotte-Louise

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Just about any plants that are placed in an enclosure within reach of a tortoise is either going to be eaten or trampled or both. Plants in an indoor enclosure are generally for the viewing pleasure of the keeper and don't provide very much if any benefit for the tortoise. They take up valuable floor space most of the time. Given the fact that tortoises are completely terrestrial creatures that require a lot of area and that most indoor enclosures are far from large enough, every little bit of floor space is beneficial.
Hides can be created from anything that is durable and either fastened or very difficult for the tortoise to move. They should be dark inside and easy for the tortoise to enter and exit. They should also be big enough in size to accomodate all of the tortoises within the enclosure at the same time.
Here in the U.S. the most popular substrate seems to be cypress mulch. Some use aspen bedding. For smaller enclosures and for smaller tortoises a soil based substrate works well. Depending upon what might be available to you it should be able to withstand frequent water sprayings without fostering mold or fungus.
While the two tortoises may have lived in harmony prior to coming to you they bear watching closely. Sometimes changes in environment bring on changes in tortoises behavior. This is especially true of male Testudo. At 7 years old they should both be sexually mature.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas BABY!
I'm getting a Russian this week, and I'm using coco fiber stufff mixed with sand as the substrate. And they need lots to burrow and sleep in. Also they should have a log, and I am going to get a rock to put under the basking light so when they climb on it it's warm. And you probably know all the basic care so good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.