I told someone they were a bad tort owner today! Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
mary t said:
I agree but.... In Florida turtles swim.. So if you don't assist In the educational process of by nothing else than a name they are likely to send the poor tort for a swim. My fathers neighbor has a 6 yrs old 50 pound male sulcata that successfully navigated the barriers and escapes a few times a year. Last summer my 75 yesr old father had to go knee deep into a lake to save him because some helpful person saw him in the front yard and returned him to the lake by getting their buddy to help throw him in because he kept walking away from the water. Trust me these particular people know no difference between turtle and tortoise. Just because things maybe the same it's not wrong to learn the correct name. I correct anyone and everyone that calls my Willie a turtle. If in my mind it saves one tort from taking a swim or teaches one person out there that there are different spices than I've done my job...

Wow, someone threw a sulcata into a lake? Geez. I know tortoises can survive floating for a while, but it's lucky he didn't drown. Strange they did that, considering that the gopher tortoise is native to Florida, and is pretty well known (I lived in Florida for 8 years). Also strange, considering how much bulkier the shells of tortoises and box turtles are compared to aquatic species. You'd think they'd realize that such an animal is not built for swimming. Still, I know what you mean; I have often had to explain to people why I don't keep my tortoises in an aquarium! Maybe I give the general public too much credit. :rolleyes:

Yes, the uninitiated may assume the word "turtle" automatically implies an aquatic lifestyle (as in the snapper, softshell, mud turtle, pond turtle, and sea turtle families). However, tortoises and terrestrial pond turtles are still turtles; they just have different requirements.

I guess I blame the English language. If we called all aquatic turtles "terrapins," there might not be this confusion about which types of turtles live where.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's been years back now, but a friend who lived in a near by town, had one of his sulcata escape. This was one about 35-40 pound range. He searched his neighborhood for a couple of days and then happened to call the animal control person. He learned the officer thought the sulcata was a snapping turtle and had taken him down to the river to release him back in to it. The owner did finally, after searching the river banks, find his sulcata. No idea how long it was in the water before it got back out. Point is, Mary is correct, people only see them as turtles and turtles belong in water. ;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jacqui said:
It's been years back now, but a friend who lived in a near by town, had one of his sulcata escape. This was one about 35-40 pound range. He searched his neighborhood for a couple of days and then happened to call the animal control person. He learned the officer thought the sulcata was a snapping turtle and had taken him down to the river to release him back in to it. The owner did finally, after searching the river banks, find his sulcata. No idea how long it was in the water before it got back out. Point is, Mary is correct, people only see them as turtles and turtles belong in water. ;)

Wow again. Quite a story. You'd think an animal control officer would know better ... wouldn't you?

Anyway, it sounds like the person Mary talked to was informed enough to know that a sulcata belongs on land and not in the water. She just wasn't knowledgeable enough to realize that tortoises need a spacious habitat with a moist substrate, and a more varied and nutritious diet than just lettuce. Sounds like this person has a lot to learn about tortoises, but at least she knows what they're related to.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
All the stories about throwing them into the water make me sad! :(
I'm sorry but before I researched about Torts a while back, I would know not to throw one into the water since it's top heavy and if they wanted water then they wouldn't be on land right? hahaha I met my first encounter with a sulcata YEARS ago and I never once questioned if they live on land or water...however I did ask if he ever fell into the family pool :p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
MORTYtheTORTY said:
All the stories about throwing them into the water make me sad! :(
I'm sorry but before I researched about Torts a while back, I would know not to throw one into the water since it's top heavy and if they wanted water then they wouldn't be on land right? hahaha I met my first encounter with a sulcata YEARS ago and I never once questioned if they live on land or water...however I did ask if he ever fell into the family pool :p

Yep, you said it. Even a naive non-expert should be able to look at a tortoise for the first time and say, "Hmm, this is a robust animal. It clearly belongs on land." You would think that would be obvious to people. Sadly, it is not.

Granted, some aquatic turtles look very tortoise-like: common snappers are pretty robust, and alligator snappers even more so. Mud and musk turtles aren't very streamlined, either. Still, it's pretty clear that the skin of these animals is meant to stay wet. Maybe box turtles fool people, because they are very tortoise-like but still fairly good swimmers. Still, you'd think that one look at a sulcata and a person would be convinced that these tank-like animals are terrestrial. You'd think.

Again, most disappointing that so many people are so detached from nature (or worse) that they do not realize the basic habitat of a tortoise. These posts kind of remind me of Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" segment on the tonight show. They kind of make me realize just how little some people know about things that seem obvious to others. :(

jason g.

5 Year Member
I'm from Indiana and the only thing that comes close to a sulcata is a snapping turtle. You would be surprised how many people are uneducated or just don't care what they are. I've had a old guy from Kentucky that I work with ask me if I was raising it to eat it. Sorry hillbilly its my pet. He couldn't imagine why I would want one as a pet. I couldn't imagine how uninterested he was in the difference between the two. Most people are interested in hearing about Rose.some even want me to keep them posted on how fast she's growing.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
jason g. said:
I'm from Indiana and the only thing that comes close to a sulcata is a snapping turtle. You would be surprised how many people are uneducated or just don't care what they are. I've had a old guy from Kentucky that I work with ask me if I was raising it to eat it. Sorry hillbilly its my pet. He couldn't imagine why I would want one as a pet. I couldn't imagine how uninterested he was in the difference between the two. Most people are interested in hearing about Rose.some even want me to keep them posted on how fast she's growing.

What/who's rose.some? A long long time ago people ate Tortoises for their meat...That's why the Galapagos became nearly wiped out....it's in my sons Disney book hahaha

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Ya I have people ask me all the time how big before we eat her. In fact lots of people catch "turtles" in the lakes around here to eat... I guess to each their own but I'll stick to chicken and steak... Plus Willie eats way to many veggies for my taste..lol...

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yep, you said it. Even a naive non-expert should be able to look at a tortoise for the first time and say, "Hmm, this is a robust animal. It clearly belongs on land." You would think that would be obvious to people. Sadly, it is not.

Granted, some aquatic turtles look very tortoise-like: common snappers are pretty robust, and alligator snappers even more so. Mud and musk turtles aren't very streamlined, either. Still, it's pretty clear that the skin of these animals is meant to stay wet. Maybe box turtles fool people, because they are very tortoise-like but still fairly good swimmers. Still, you'd think that one look at a sulcata and a person would be convinced that these tank-like animals are terrestrial. You'd think.

Again, most disappointing that so many people are so detached from nature (or worse) that they do not realize the basic habitat of a tortoise. These posts kind of remind me of Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" segment on the tonight show. They kind of make me realize just how little some people know about things that seem obvious to others.

There's a term for this: Nature Deficit Disorder

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
mary t said:
Ya I have people ask me all the time how big before we eat her. In fact lots of people catch "turtles" in the lakes around here to eat... I guess to each their own but I'll stick to chicken and steak... Plus Willie eats way to many veggies for my taste..lol...

I HEAR YA :( Alot of people out here eat turtle soup (EEEK) IDK if I can ever stomach that..

StudentoftheReptile: LMAO! NDD!
You have discovered a new symptom...is their a cure?

Lizz

5 Year Member
mary t said:

Those people are my family, haha.
I still have many memories of seeing my grandpa outside cutting open a turtle that wandered into their yard with a large, sharp knife on those occasional family visits. It was never a pretty sight.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Lizz said:
mary t said:

I still have many memories of seeing my grandpa outside cutting open a turtle that wandered into their yard with a large, sharp knife on those occasional family visits. It was never a pretty sight.

:(

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, since the topic did come up, I've always wondered then why do we call box turtles "turtles". They live on land and not in water.:rolleyes:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
StudentoftheReptile said:
There's a term for this: Nature Deficit Disorder

Could be nature deficit disorder, yes. Not an acknowledged psychiatric disorder yet, but it might be someday. See also: biophilia.

Re: Eating turtles
As I've mentioned before, I did eat an aquatic turtle once in the rural parts of Venezuela, and yes, it did make for a good meal. However, turtles do not reproduce frequently enough to be hunted sustainably at all, so eating them on a regular basis would definitely endanger them. Plus they're cute. :)

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Lizz said:

Not to laugh but remember I was born and raised in south Africa... My grandma used to say if it moves or grows, I'm sure we can cook it up. This was a tough old lady that killed a fresh chicken for dinner every Sunday. Disturbing entertainment , yes I said it entertainment.. Tv wasn't an option back there...v

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
my family will roast the pig whole with an apple in it's mouth and people dig right in..at first it grossed me out until I tried it hahaha just don't look at it...Some people eat dogs and cats in certain countries and I don't think I could do that! I've tried snail and it wasn't appetizing at all. I've tried many things but haven't tried turtles of any kind and nothing in the ocean besides seaweed and fish (never sharks or anything of that sort). Rattlesnake is D'lish :D and alligator is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.