I Think my tortoise is underweight.

ArmadilloPup

Location (City and/or State)
NE Oklahoma
Another update, here goes.

snappy has been doing fine, and has been much more active and less lethargic. However she has been still, sometimes not eating all the food in the bowl, but sometimes gorges the whole thing down on her own, but always eats everything when i handfeed her.

Snappy has been having near daily soaks, and has been pooping a lot more thankfully. But i have noticed that despite the soaks, sometimes when im not soaking her, her skin looks dry. Why is this, is this a health issue, and how can i fix it?

Also, can she eat blackberries? i was wondering if i could feed them to her.

Yay Snappy!

It's normal for them to occasionally just nibble at their food. I've noticed this mostly after protein day.

Dry skin can be caused by a lot of things. Nutrition is one reason, but it sounds like you've brushed up on that. Even with a humid hide, she may be spending a lot of time in areas where it isn't humid enough. Tortoises are not too bright about going to where they need to go when temp/humidity drops. Once a week, you can apply organic coconut oil after her soak - shell, legs, plastron, top of head (avoiding eyes/nostrils), and gently dab off with a towel before releasing her again. It's not a cure, but it might make her more comfortable.

Berries are just fine for red foots :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
^ that.

The air in the Midwest is just no comparison to the humidity in tropical South America. Do a daily soak, provide a damp place to dig, and a water pan to lounge in.

If you can work out a pattern (keep some notes) to the appetite, that can help you be more exact about portions, but completely normal. I don't eat the same amount every day, but I try to get the nutritional basics before any extra snacky stuff.

Sounds great!

midwest USA
Yay Snappy!

It's normal for them to occasionally just nibble at their food. I've noticed this mostly after protein day.

Dry skin can be caused by a lot of things. Nutrition is one reason, but it sounds like you've brushed up on that. Even with a humid hide, she may be spending a lot of time in areas where it isn't humid enough. Tortoises are not too bright about going to where they need to go when temp/humidity drops. Once a week, you can apply organic coconut oil after her soak - shell, legs, plastron, top of head (avoiding eyes/nostrils), and gently dab off with a towel before releasing her again. It's not a cure, but it might make her more comfortable.

Berries are just fine for red foots :)
Thank you so much! I will get that greenhouse soon, so the heat nor the humidity escapes.

However, the dry skin does not seem to be bothering her at all, she still acts the same.

midwest USA
^ that.

The air in the Midwest is just no comparison to the humidity in tropical South America. Do a daily soak, provide a damp place to dig, and a water pan to lounge in.

If you can work out a pattern (keep some notes) to the appetite, that can help you be more exact about portions, but completely normal. I don't eat the same amount every day, but I try to get the nutritional basics before any extra snacky stuff.

Sounds great!
How deep would the substrate have to be?

midwest USA
another update incoming.

the greenhouse has come in the mail, but i realized something when it came in. How am i going to make sure all her lights and the CHE and more, will be plugged in with the greenhouse obscuring the outlet?

Everything has been well otherwise. She's been defecating/Urinating at least once daily and her eating has been getting better, albeit slowly. She's also been fairly active.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
another update incoming.

the greenhouse has come in the mail, but i realized something when it came in. How am i going to make sure all her lights and the CHE and more, will be plugged in with the greenhouse obscuring the outlet?

Everything has been well otherwise. She's been defecating/Urinating at least once daily and her eating has been getting better, albeit slowly. She's also been fairly active.
Good news!! Thanks for the update! I'm the wrong person to give you good advice on enclosures or electrical but glad your tort is doing better.