I Think my tortoise is underweight.

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I Have seen a decline in her activity ever since i moved the location of the CHES(make that CHE since one went out), which took place much before the new diet. Nothing in particular is left behind but egg and a bit of everything else.

My first guess would be that she is leveling off due to the more complete nutrient profile on the plate. Check her weight in the mornings to find out how she's incorporating things.

Don't offer any less - you want her to be able to choose what she needs each day. Leave it for her (or re-offer it) until about 2 pm (so that her stomach is not full when the day heat goes off).

Be sure that she is passing normal stool every day. If she starts to seem constipated, cut back on the egg shell by half.

Check the floor temps all over the enclosure to make sure you don't have cold spots (below 80*F). If her enclosure is on the floor, you want to make sure that the late winter cold is not stealing heat from under her.

Any time we make big changes, they have to adjust and find a new Normal - keep an eye on her.

midwest USA
My first guess would be that she is leveling off due to the more complete nutrient profile on the plate. Check her weight in the mornings to find out how she's incorporating things.

Don't offer any less - you want her to be able to choose what she needs each day. Leave it for her (or re-offer it) until about 2 pm (so that her stomach is not full when the day heat goes off).

Be sure that she is passing normal stool every day. If she starts to seem constipated, cut back on the egg shell by half.

Check the floor temps all over the enclosure to make sure you don't have cold spots (below 80*F). If her enclosure is on the floor, you want to make sure that the late winter cold is not stealing heat from under her.

Any time we make big changes, they have to adjust and find a new Normal - keep an eye on her.
theres a problem

I cant get a good measurement of her weight due to our scales being either not accurate or not choosing to work. And the floor temperatures are already below 80 in most spots of the enclosure because i am still waiting for a portable greenhouse cover.

And also, she has stopped passing stool and urine(though granted there's been more urates) as often as she used to ever since i moved the CHE and gave the new diet.

Should i move the CHE back where it was before or just continue with it? She's been getting colder ever since she moved it because it was her old basking spot, however now she doesn't know where to warm herself now that its been moved.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Well yeah - totally return the che to where she is used to finding heat. She has to have the proper climate like the one her species evolved in. Otherwise none of her internal organs will work properly. If she is not heating to the right internal temperature after meals, she is not digesting, metabolizing, absorbing, and eliminating effectively. That is a serious problem. You've got to get her temps into her proper range all through her environment asap.

Reptiles are a specialized group, and each individual species has unique requirements. Unlike dogs and cats, which are more uniform across the world. Tortoises are not for everyone, but if you have the passion to replicate their husbandry on point, it is very rewarding.

midwest USA
Well yeah - totally return the che to where she is used to finding heat. She has to have the proper climate like the one her species evolved in. Otherwise none of her internal organs will work properly. If she is not heating to the right internal temperature after meals, she is not digesting, metabolizing, absorbing, and eliminating effectively. That is a serious problem. You've got to get her temps into her proper range all through her environment asap.

Reptiles are a specialized group, and each individual species has unique requirements. Unlike dogs and cats, which are more uniform across the world. Tortoises are not for everyone, but if you have the passion to replicate their husbandry on point, it is very rewarding.
alright, i returned the CHE to where she used to bask, should I worry abt her not passing stool nearly as frequent? she's been going days without passing it.

Also, i will replicate the husbandry to the best i can do. Also, Im pretty sure the winter cold isn't stealing the heat as the heat has been steadily rising ever since i had 2 ches instead of 1(though one did break). Its just that its not a closed chamber enclosure.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
In my opinion, she has just gone thru a buncha changes in her life. She's not gonna poop if she hasn't been eating...think about that. Soak her feed her and leave her alone...CHE back where it was

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You can't be pretty sure - you have to know the exact temps on the floor, and how they have changed since the bulb blew out. If it is below 80*F, you have to replace the other bulb asap.

It doesn't matter what the temp is outside...the ground was frozen for a while, and it is the ground temp under your house that is controlling the temps where she lives. Take your socks off and stand on your kitchen floor...the floor is taking heat from your body through your feet. Since reptiles cannot make their own internal body heat, it has to be added constantly into them. If she is lying on the floor and it is below her species limit, she is not absorbing any heat, and may be losing heat generated above her if it is not strong enough to compensate.

midwest USA
I know this update came a bit soon, but i don't think shes constipated anymore because shes recently just passed stool, and a fair bit of it. Shes being soaked right now, and im glad the constipation if still there, has lessened.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Warm water soaks often "do the trick"!

Also another indication that heat may not getting to her digestive organs when she's not soaking.

Adjust her egg to 1/2-egg but 1/4-shell per portion; get her temps up to Optimal.

midwest USA
Update here
Snappy has been getting better, and has started approaching me whenever she sees me again. But i may have hardboiled an egg wrong(im not the best cook), and i wanted to see if she could eat it or not. Heres a pic, the egg is a tad bit runny, and so is the yolk. WIN_20210225_22_37_10_Pro.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Update here
Snappy has been getting better, and has started approaching me whenever she sees me again. But i may have hardboiled an egg wrong(im not the best cook), and i wanted to see if she could eat it or not. Heres a pic, the egg is a tad bit runny, and so is the yolk. View attachment 319338
I don't eat runny eggs. I boil the hell out of my hardboiled eggs or have hard fried eggs. But I don't have a tort yet either. Do torts eat things like quail eggs in the wild? Or is that limited to skunks & the like?

midwest USA
I don't eat runny eggs. I boil the hell out of my hardboiled eggs or have hard fried eggs. But I don't have a tort yet either. Do torts eat things like quail eggs in the wild? Or is that limited to skunks & the like?
doesn't matter that much anymore, i got it more hardboiled.

midwest USA
Update here!

Snappy has been doing well, shes back to pooping and soaking nearly day. However she still doesn't eat everything on her plate despite it being quite awhile since i gave her egg, should i be concerned? Also, shes still a tad bit sleepy, but shes been getting better and more curious and inquisitive when i come to feed/soak her.

Also, can redfoots eat green chard? i was getting collard but picked up the wrong greens.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Update here!

Snappy has been doing well, shes back to pooping and soaking nearly day. However she still doesn't eat everything on her plate despite it being quite awhile since i gave her egg, should i be concerned? Also, shes still a tad bit sleepy, but shes been getting better and more curious and inquisitive when i come to feed/soak her.

What protein food is she eating?

For an animal that is from a very warm part of the planet, the U.S. Midwest is still deep in winter (even though we feel the temps rising week-to-week).

Reptiles are very slow to regenerate, heal, and achieve Good health. As long as she is making progress.

midwest USA
What protein food is she eating?

For an animal that is from a very warm part of the planet, the U.S. Midwest is still deep in winter (even though we feel the temps rising week-to-week).

Reptiles are very slow to regenerate, heal, and achieve Good health. As long as she is making progress.
Ive been feeding her half of a hardboiled egg, with shell for pretty much every day.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Ive been feeding her half of a hardboiled egg, with shell for pretty much every day.

Oh, heh. Since you started giving egg. =))

Gottcha. So she's leaving some food on her plate. That's fine...as long as she's passing stool and liquid urine every day, I'm going to guess that the egg-and-shell are satisfying her appetite. It is best to offer a bit more than you think she will eat (not an overwhelming pile, but a bit more).

midwest USA
Oh, heh. Since you started giving egg. =))

Gottcha. So she's leaving some food on her plate. That's fine...as long as she's passing stool and liquid urine every day, I'm going to guess that the egg-and-shell are satisfying her appetite. It is best to offer a bit more than you think she will eat (not an overwhelming pile, but a bit more).
The thing is, the amount i have been feeding her, which is usually around this size. Is roughly her own size or a bit less. But for the most part shes eating a meal nearly her size.1615857701819.png

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The thing is, the amount i have been feeding her, which is usually around this size. Is roughly her own size or a bit less. But for the most part shes eating a meal nearly her size.

Many keepers do find that if they envision an individual tort's shell as a bowl, and prepare a meal that would fill it, that works well as a daily guide.

midwest USA
Another update, here goes.

snappy has been doing fine, and has been much more active and less lethargic. However she has been still, sometimes not eating all the food in the bowl, but sometimes gorges the whole thing down on her own, but always eats everything when i handfeed her.

Snappy has been having near daily soaks, and has been pooping a lot more thankfully. But i have noticed that despite the soaks, sometimes when im not soaking her, her skin looks dry. Why is this, is this a health issue, and how can i fix it?

Also, can she eat blackberries? i was wondering if i could feed them to her.