I think I'm in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
It seems that my torts are hooked on Mazuri. We feed them every other day.
They ignore the vegetables we give them and wait for mazuri. The vegetables get soft and disgusting and we have to throw them away. They are still little babiess... I'd be so guilty if they didn't have anything to eat.

We don't mind giving them mazuri but we definately don't want them to be only eating the stuff!! We'll try weaning them off it. Hopefully they will eat their other foods. Should we go cold turkey on the mazuri? (we've only introduced mazuri for about 2 weeks)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
With hatchlings it is usually not a good idea to go cold turkey (also called tough love) I would soften the mazuri and then spread it on the other food so they will eat the food while eating the mazuri.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I soften it and chop it up very small with greens and grass, that way they will get a bit of everything. You can gradually decrease the amount and they'll start to like/eat greens again. Personally, I feed Mazuri 2-3 times a week.
They may be a little stubborn at first, but the good news is-they won't starve. When they're hungry, they'll eat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, I'd chop up the healthy stuff really small and mix it with the mazuri.

Only add a little at first and gradually, over the next few weeks, change the proportions until there's more green than mazuri.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone!!

Tried introducing some hibiscus leaves and a tiniest bit of mazuri and... I'm in luck! they still take bites at newly introduced hibiscus leaves. I think they stopped liking the other veg that that they used to like. It's called sawi here in malaysia. I think it's called mustard greens. *phew* crisis averted. For now! in the meantime We'll reduce the mazuri just in case it really happens!

hopefully it's just the mustard greens (been feeding them for 2 days) They eat mightily slow.

so now that we've changed it hopefully their appetite will increase. I can't imagine that they are such picky eaters!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts are expert picky eaters. Today's favourite will be completely ignored, for no apparent reason, another day.

They're worse than children holding out for candy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some torts don't like mustard greens. Especially not all by themselves. Keep trying other greens and safe weeds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.