I sleep around 3 a.m everyday, is it fine for my 2 red eared sliders?

Firozepall Singh

Location (City and/or State)
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Hey guys, so, Im a night owl and I usually sleep around 3-4 a.m and so my room lights are usually on till then. Is it fine for my 2 red eared sliders in my room? Will they be disturbed by the light and will it disrupt their sleep?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Make a place in the enclosure that's always shaded. You can take 2 bricks and set a slate rock on top. So the turtles will always have a darker area to go to even if the light in your room is on.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
You can also make (or have made) a cover for the front and sides of the turtle tank. Even taping cardboard, printer paper, or pieces of felt (cheap at fabric or craft stores) would block out light for them to sleep.

Also, it depends on what time you wake up and turn on all the lights again. If you normally go to bed at 3 or 4 a.m. but don't get up until sometime after noon, the turtles will probably eventually just adjust to your schedule. You probably need more than five hours sleep, and so do they. :)

Erisna

Florida
I have a similar but kind of reverse situation: my crested gecko lives on my nightstand, and she’s very much nocturnal, so she won’t come out to eat and do her normal things if it’s bright. I try to only use smaller, dimmer desktop lamps instead of the overhead lights, and if I’m doing something that doesn’t need light (for example playing on my computer or phone) I just turn the lights off entirely. That seems to work for us so far. The other suggestions of giving a dark hide or covering the tank seem helpful too; if you combine that with using smaller lights I feel like they would be alright. People with parrots use cage covers all the time, I feel like it would be a similar concept for turtles in this situation lol.

This is assuming, of course, that the room they’re in gets natural light during the day so they can’t sleep well then; if it’s a completely windowless/dark room, I think they’d adjust to the scheduled artificial lights just fine.

(disclaimer- not a turtle or tortoise expert, if someone more knowledgeable than me thinks otherwise follow their advice!)

Firozepall Singh

Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Look at them before you go to sleep tonight, are they asleep?
You can also make (or have made) a cover for the front and sides of the turtle tank. Even taping cardboard, printer paper, or pieces of felt (cheap at fabric or craft stores) would block out light for them to sleep.

Also, it depends on what time you wake up and turn on all the lights again. If you normally go to bed at 3 or 4 a.m. but don't get up until sometime after noon, the turtles will probably eventually just adjust to your schedule. You probably need more than five hours sleep, and so do they. :)
Ok thanks for the suggestion.

Ok thanks for the advice?