"I Pick Things Up.... Part 2!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was @ the gym the day this happened. He had been asked many times on several occasions to stop cursing b/c there were a few younger people and senior citizens in the gym. That particular day was senior day so it was loaded with older people. He's NOT lying about grunting, but what he is failing to tell the reporter was that he was dropping the F-BOMB every time he lifted a weight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umFtq_GOyxo

Look @ this "tough guy" yelling at the FEMALE employee! Notice the jackass didn't even break the mirror when he threw the dumb bell at it! He sure showed that garbage pail who's boss!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Nothing better than when a grown man throws a tantrum like a child. :D

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
RE: "I Pick Things Up.... Part 2!!!"

Well that's crap because you got to grunt once in awhile weightlifting, when like you are setting new max well I think that's really stupid rule in my opinion

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Anthony, here I though the no Lunking thing was a joke??? OMG, are they kidding...this is "everyone play nice and quiet" gone way to far...seriously if I am going to go to a gym I expect to hear loud noise....people talking/joking, machines working which means weights clanking, and there is always the area for the weightlifters....and I can not imagine sitting and watching the hunkies and not hearing the sound that goes with what they are doing....wow, I could not go to this type of crazytown....

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Haha! You're TOO funny! No, you can grunt. The moron that set off the alarm was YELLING curse words. I've heard people do that before @ other gyms. It's what he did to get himself "psyched". If it wasn't for the cussing he would've been ok. It's how he handled the whole thing that made him look like the bad guy. The guy 6'5", 240lb, jackass that threw the weight and screamed at the 5' tall GIRL had no excuse. Honestly, if you're a big time weight lifter then Planet Fitness is NOT the gym for you. The max weight on the dumb bells is about 65 or 70lbs. It takes a LOT of grunting to set off the lunk alarm but apparently not much brains to verbally attack a woman on the staff... not to mention a defenseless garbage pail! ;)

ascott said:
Anthony, here I though the no Lunking thing was a joke??? OMG, are they kidding...this is "everyone play nice and quiet" gone way to far...seriously if I am going to go to a gym I expect to hear loud noise....people talking/joking, machines working which means weights clanking, and there is always the area for the weightlifters....and I can not imagine sitting and watching the hunkies and not hearing the sound that goes with what they are doing....wow, I could not go to this type of crazytown....

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
ugh some people...seeing that makes me angry and want him to be arrested or something...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I always hated going to the gym and hearing all the stupid noises, its a distraction from your work out.. If the weights are that heavy that you need to make noises to lift it, it may mean its to heavy for you.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hahaha sound the lunk alarm!
In all seriousness that was ridiculous, he shouldn't have acted like that.

I personally can stand the grunting but I hate when they are lifting really heavy weights then just drop them.

jjbird60

5 Year Member
RE: "I Pick Things Up.... Part 2!!!"

The second one is weird plenty of people grunt in the gym in my city

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
If you strain hard, you grunt. My boss grunts when he tries to get out of his chair. I am totally against listening to the cussing. I'm a powerlifter. If I'm not grunting, I'm not lifting heavy enough. Everyone has their own idea of the ideal workout setting.

Personally, it is very distracting when a "Barbie" comes in wearing next to nothing. I lose all of my focus. If my wife is with me, I lose all of my focus and get slapped upside the head. I don't want people cussing and carrying on. I don't want the 6'4" 140lbs guy taking off his shirt and flexing his imaginary lats.

Just my couple of cents.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that if you grunt, that means you're not breathing properly.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
emysemys said:
I think that if you grunt, that means you're not breathing properly.

Most people are not breathing properly. I would agree with you in 95% of the cases.

There is a technique called the Vasalva maneuver "forcible exhalation against closed glottis." The by-product of this is a grunt. This maneuver is used to stimulate the vagus nerve and reduce blood pressure and heart rate.

I just want to add.... If anyone is reading this and thinking about trying the Valsalva maneuver, do your homework!! People pass out and faint from it. You can overstimulate the vagus nerve before you have completed the lift and drop the weight on yourself.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I just don't get this at all. This is a gym, not a library for goodness sake. I would not be intimidated by the power type lifters, but the "Barbie" somebody mentioned would do the intimidation job. :p :D

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
I'm sorry, Planet Fitness is a joke. I really love the hypocrisy of calling people who actually lift "lunks" while in the confines of a so-called "judgement free zone".

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't power lift but seems like grunting in a gym would be OK if that is what works for you, but cussing repeatedly out loud?
I don't want to hear that in a gym, the grocery store, or wherever.
Not so much, and not necessary to work out. Do it in your own garage in private.

Status
Not open for further replies.