I need your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfi

5 Year Member
I've already posted some photos of this tortoise before here http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10707.html (tortoise #2) and some of you said that it's a female, but I'm really confused cause it grew up and looks like the tail became longer. Could you guess again who is it? Male or female?
a429fcaca99e.jpg

35f1847bd32c.jpg

e86ca11b5403.jpg

a1aff333603a.jpg

0276fadfad7c.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Redfoots always fool me because I'm really not familiar with them, however, my uneducated guess is male.

Let's wait for Danny (Egyptiandan) to set us straight!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've only got one comment for you.....Danny originally told you that it is a male....go with that he's not wrong very often. :D Looks male to me also. :)

Anfi

5 Year Member
Candy said:
I've only got one comment for you.....Danny originally told you that it is a male....go with that he's not wrong very often. :D Looks male to me also. :)

Well, the last time 3 people said it's a female and 1 (Danny) said it's a male. The other strange thing is the behaviour: the other male always tries to mount this tortoise and it never escapes, never bites him etc. I know that males from the norhern part of the range tolerate each other but this is too much. :D On the other hand this tortoise has never been seen mounting on the third female (or another male).
I really want to be sure, cause I need a group that consists of 1 male and 2 females. :(

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Male! Look how close the cloaca is to the tip of the tail. Female's tail will be half that length.

-Matt

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love all that red on the tail. I'm with Candy. Danny is rarely wrong....and Matt is one of the best too.. so..Male.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It is right at that hard to guess size, I would based at those picts go with Male! if the cloaca was closer to the plasteron I could be OK with Female as I have some with quite long tails. It is clearly a young tort, so I would guess boy. As a matter of fact I would think from the looks of it that you could hold it at a 45% angle and slowly stroke it's belly and know for sure. LOL I have sexed many a maybe m/f at that size for a conformation of sex. Douglas

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Elegans, your post is so open to dirty jokes! Ha! My mind is racing, but must refrain from posting..........

-Matt

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I'll give you an opinion--that thing is gorgeous.
As for the sex I would say probably a male but as was mentioned, some females have pretty long tails. You might get something to pop out of that tail (besides poop, I mean) if you held it under some running water for a couple of minutes.
In any case it appears to be a rather young tortoise so time will tell.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Gotta love those little racing strips on the tail!

Status
Not open for further replies.