What are the genders of these Redfoot Tortoises?

Cajuju

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello,

I took a photo of my friend's Redfoot tortoises to help him figure out what gender they are. We don't know the age but they seem to be big enough to tell the gender. They are about 6" long and one of them does have different features than the other, but only slightly.
Our guess for the one with a fish mark underneath it is a female, and the other one we are confused about.
The fish mark Redfoot doesn't show any signs of concaving, the tail is small, and the shell doesn't feel like it is becoming a peanut shape like some males.
The other one has a bit of concaving starting at the anal scutes, has a peanut like shape starting to form on the shell, and the tail looks to be small.
From what I know, males will have a peanut like shell shape, concaved belly, and a big tail. Females have flat belly, normal shell shape, and small tails.
So we're pretty confident that the fish marked one is female, but the second one makes us second guess cause the tail is small compared to photos we've looked up.

Hopefully the pictures help. If you need a picture of a different angle, I can ask my friend to send some.

Attachments

• fish-redfoot-1.jpg
    fish-redfoot-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • fish-redfoot-2.jpg
    fish-redfoot-2.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 30
  • maybe-male-redfoot-1.jpg
    maybe-male-redfoot-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • maybe-male-redfoot-2.jpg
    maybe-male-redfoot-2.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 30

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello,

I took a photo of my friend's Redfoot tortoises to help him figure out what gender they are. We don't know the age but they seem to be big enough to tell the gender. They are about 6" long and one of them does have different features than the other, but only slightly.
Our guess for the one with a fish mark underneath it is a female, and the other one we are confused about.
The fish mark Redfoot doesn't show any signs of concaving, the tail is small, and the shell doesn't feel like it is becoming a peanut shape like some males.
The other one has a bit of concaving starting at the anal scutes, has a peanut like shape starting to form on the shell, and the tail looks to be small.
From what I know, males will have a peanut like shell shape, concaved belly, and a big tail. Females have flat belly, normal shell shape, and small tails.
So we're pretty confident that the fish marked one is female, but the second one makes us second guess cause the tail is small compared to photos we've looked up.

Hopefully the pictures help. If you need a picture of a different angle, I can ask my friend to send some.
First one female and second one looks like a young male imo.

Cajuju

California
First one female and second one looks like a young male imo.
Thats what we’re guessing also. The tail for the male is the only thing making us think otherwise.
Do you know if its probably cause their still too young to tell from the tail?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thats what we’re guessing also. The tail for the male is the only thing making us think otherwise.
Do you know if its probably cause their still too young to tell from the tail?
The tail is already starting to look male. It will get much bigger within the next few months and so should the concavity.