I Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndhome1

5 Year Member
I took in 2 tortoises yesterday: a Hingeback and an Indonesian Box Turtle. One of my clients had them and told me that they belonged to his grandson who had died in May. This man is almost blind and told me that he threw some bread into the box (yes...a cardboard box) once ina while for them to eat. He asked me to take them and I did.

I really need help with the Hingeback. Both of these guys are really dehydrated and starved. The Box turtle is going to be fine. She's eating and behaiving like a typical box turtle. I've been soaking them and have them in seperate isolation tanks with temps at 85 degrees. The hingeback won't eat and appears very weak. Can I blend some fruits and veggies and force feed with a srynge? He looks pretty young and I'm terribly worried about him. Help!!!
Jen

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Jen,
The Indonesian box turtle will need to be set-up like a water turtle, shallow warm water with a large land area. http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Camboinensiscare.htm

The hingeback sounds like it's going to need to have a tube inserted into it's stomach. This will cause less stress in the long run, than tube feeding by mouth everyday. The Hingeback will need to be kept warm and humid to do well.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's really sad the way some people treat turtles. I suspect it is mainly because they do not make a lot of noise, so they think it is ok to keep them in a box and forget about them. not exscusing this type if behavoir just trying to come to some sort of explanation.

Houndhome1

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice on the Box Turtle. I'll get her set up today...I'm pretty sure she's female.

The hingeback died last night...:-(
Jen

egyptiandan said:
Hi Jen,
The Indonesian box turtle will need to be set-up like a water turtle, shallow warm water with a large land area. http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Camboinensiscare.htm

The hingeback sounds like it's going to need to have a tube inserted into it's stomach. This will cause less stress in the long run, than tube feeding by mouth everyday. The Hingeback will need to be kept warm and humid to do well.

Danny

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Too bad about the Hingeback! Just a bit too late. While it is negelct, the circumstances sure are different than most neglect cases. A kid die's and his pets are left to a senile old man.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh Jen that sucks! I know you feel awful and wish you could've done more. At least the Boxie has a chance. I know when I take it something and it dosen't make it I know I have tried. And when they do it's a gift, they would not have had. Kudos for you for taking them in.
Na

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jen sorry to hear about the hingeback but so thankful you have the Boxie. Now it will get the things it needs to thrive and live a healthy happy life. Kudos to you for trying to help them both and for helping them.

Houndhome1

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the support. I just feel bad for the little guy and I buried him out under my pear tree. The Indonesian Box is doing very well and is eating like a pig. I have a Western Ornate Box and he is slowing down his eating and I think he may be thinking about hibernating. The Indonesian really likes the water and I think is trying to fatten up. She is active and looks pretty good. My husband is building a new table for her as she needs different things than my Ornate.
Jen

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I'm glad the boxie found a good home w/you Jen.
I'm very sorry to hear about the hingeback. It sounds like it was too little and vulnerable to such neglect. You did the best you could. I feel bad for the whole situation w/the owner dying and family members in grief (and blind, too) not having it in them to care for pets. It verifies my need to write a will about my tort for just in case. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.