I need help: what to do I have (3) Russian Tortoises( enclosure + lighting ) help please!

Alw1990

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hi there,

So I have a total of 3 Russian Tortoises now. I need an enclosure that will fit all three and give them adequate space but I don't really know where to start. Lighting...everytime I go into the pet store 90% of the time I'm directed to the wrong stuff. Can someone help me? For 3 russian tortoises what do I need to provide them the best quality of life possible. Do I need 3 lights? Help please

Attachments

• 20200429_111825.jpg
    20200429_111825.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
First off, I would have at least a 10x10ft or bigger enclosure for all three. Try to have one outside, that way you don't have to get any lights, because they will get heat and UVB from the sun. I would also figure out the sexes if you haven't. I'm not so sure about lighting, because mine are outside, but you don't need three, just the heat bulb and then the UVB tube. In addition, I would replace the Romaine with weeds and flowers, and constantly switch the menu. If you don't, they may get addicted to Romaine and become very picky.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
These are for knowing what to do once you know the sexes;
-M,F,F: Fine, okay to keep in the group
-M,M,M: Need to separate all three
-F,F,F: okay to keep in the group
-M,M,F: Need to separate all three

Basically, you can only keep the group together if it's a male and two females or all females. The other combinations will eventually have too much fighting and stress on the tortoises. I'm just clarifying this in case you don't know, maybe and hopefully you know this already.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

So I have a total of 3 Russian Tortoises now. I need an enclosure that will fit all three and give them adequate space but I don't really know where to start. Lighting...everytime I go into the pet store 90% of the time I'm directed to the wrong stuff. Can someone help me? For 3 russian tortoises what do I need to provide them the best quality of life possible. Do I need 3 lights? Help please
I'm glad you realize that the pet store is giving you bad info. Many people don't.

We had a member in NY that would keep hs groups of Russians indoor over winter in 4x8' enclosures, and then move them outside into large enclosures when the weather was warm enough. I think 4x8' is on the small side, but he got away with it.

One basking bulb should do it. A 150 watt flood in a 10 inch hood, should spread the heat and light out in a large enclosure well.

Here is some care info:

Alw1990

Seattle, WA
I'm glad you realize that the pet store is giving you bad info. Many people don't.

We had a member in NY that would keep hs groups of Russians indoor over winter in 4x8' enclosures, and then move them outside into large enclosures when the weather was warm enough. I think 4x8' is on the small side, but he got away with it.

One basking bulb should do it. A 150 watt flood in a 10 inch hood, should spread the heat and light out in a large enclosure well.

Here is some care info:
Okay perfect thank you so much. I have a yard where raccoons and coyotes Rome do you think they could break in if I put them outside? I live in WA our weather tends to be unpredictable also.

Alw1990

Seattle, WA
These are for knowing what to do once you know the sexes;
-M,F,F: Fine, okay to keep in the group
-F,F,F: okay to keep in the group
-M,M,F: Need to separate all three

Basically, you can only keep the group together if it's a male and two females or all females. The other combinations will eventually have too much fighting and stress on the tortoises. I'm just clarifying this in case you don't know, maybe and hopefully you know this already.
So today my female tortoise bit on the leg of my smaller girl tortoise and I had to separate them ? I have Male Female Female

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay perfect thank you so much. I have a yard where raccoons and coyotes Rome do you think they could break in if I put them outside? I live in WA our weather tends to be unpredictable also.
If you make the boxes with a secure latch, they should be fine. If you are concerned, you could always lock the boxes with a pad lock. No raccoon can open that with out the key.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So today my female tortoise bit on the leg of my smaller girl tortoise and I had to separate them ? I have Male Female Female
Its pretty common for Russians to fight. You'll have to separate them.

franklin444

U.S.A
Your enclosure should be at least 10x10.
A good heat lamp is the exo terra sun-ray but that might not make a big enough basking spot if all your torts want to bask at the same time. Maybe go with a different exo terra or zoo med heat and UV lamp. you could get two exo terra sun-rays but they are a little pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AGCT4H2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20