I need help telling someone to stop stressing my tort out.

zovick

10 Year Member!
sadly no, but we are moving into a new house in 3 weeks so he is going to have a huge indoor and outdoor enclosure. So I guess he just has to stay where he is now.
Hi Helena. When you move, where will you be living (city and state)? I used to live in MD and know quite a few people in VA/MD/PA/NJ who are tortoise lovers. I might be able to help you connect with some fellow cheloniophiles who could help you and/or be sources of information about vets, etc., in the area where you are going to live.

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi Helena. When you move, where will you be living (city and state)? I used to live in MD and know quite a few people in VA/MD/PA/NJ who are tortoise lovers. I might be able to help you connect with some fellow cheloniophiles who could help you and/or be sources of information about vets, etc., in the area where you are going to live.
Im moving to North Carolina, specifically Wake Forest, just outside of Raleigh. That would be great to learn more because I feel so terrible about not knowing about his age and condition when I got him. I want to learn and know as much as I can to make sure he can live out the rest of his life happy. Thank you so much for helping me out. Part of me regrets ever going to the pet store to get him, but the other part of me wouldn't trade it for the world. I just want to make sure he is living the best life possible. Also since you believe that he is 10 - 15 years old, do u most likely think he is wild caught?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Im moving to North Carolina, specifically Wake Forest, just outside of Raleigh. That would be great to learn more because I feel so terrible about not knowing about his age and condition when I got him. I want to learn and know as much as I can to make sure he can live out the rest of his life happy. Thank you so much for helping me out. Part of me regrets ever going to the pet store to get him, but the other part of me wouldn't trade it for the world. I just want to make sure he is living the best life possible. Also since you believe that he is 10 - 15 years old, do u most likely think he is wild caught?
Thanks for the information. I know a very good reptile vet in Cary, NC. Also a couple other hobbyists who just like tortoises from that area.

Yes, I really do believe your tortoise was a WC import. See the other thread for more on that subject.

What are you doing for school? Are you going to school in VA now? Are you a sophomore? Just nosey. LOL

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the information. I know a very good reptile vet in Cary, NC. Also a couple other hobbyists who just like tortoises from that area.

Yes, I really do believe your tortoise was a WC import. See the other thread for more on that subject.

What are you doing for school? Are you going to school in VA now? Are you a sophomore? Just nosey. LOL
I am a sophomore doing online school from CA until we officially move to NC. Im online due to the whole pandemic thing. For school Im taking classes to go to college for a doctorate in veterinary medicine. I feel so stupid that I didn't know about his age and that he was a WC. It breaks my heart, and is a fine example of why young kids should not have tortoises, or any reptile for that matter. It honestly makes a lot of sense about his age and his shell chips and scuffs. I feel so terrible and want to make sure he gets the best care that I can possibly give him. I know someone on here is gonna be mean and judge me for this, but it wont hurt anymore then knowing the truth. I don't ever want to be gullible and I rather know the hard, cold truth then live in some fantasy land. Thank u so much for ur help. It means a lot ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am a sophomore doing online school from CA until we officially move to NC. Im online due to the whole pandemic thing. For school Im taking classes to go to college for a doctorate in veterinary medicine. I feel so stupid that I didn't know about his age and that he was a WC. It breaks my heart, and is a fine example of why young kids should not have tortoises, or any reptile for that matter. It honestly makes a lot of sense about his age and his shell chips and scuffs. I feel so terrible and want to make sure he gets the best care that I can possibly give him. I know someone on here is gonna be mean and judge me for this, but it wont hurt anymore then knowing the truth. I don't ever want to be gullible and I rather know the hard, cold truth then live in some fantasy land. Thank u so much for ur help. It means a lot ?
Don't worry. No one is going to be overly judgmental about a 10 year old child unknowingly buying a WC tortoise, most especially when you were (most probably) misled about the birth date to help the store make the sale.

The important thing is that you are now aware and are taking responsible steps to provide the tortoise the best possible environment.

Good luck with school! I am a dentist myself and know very well what is involved in getting through undergraduate college as well as professional school. It won't be easy as I hope you already know. How are your grades so far? University of GA has a great veterinary school. Maybe you'll go there after college.

Best of luck to you. You seem to be a very level-headed person and should do well.