Horror story, not for the light hearted tort lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I believe Ghandi said this: We are accountable for what we do and for what we do not do.
For the tortoise's sake, the tortoise that is defenseless against this uncaring treatment, take possession in the best way you can and get it in to a better situation. Using animals or children as weapons is bad karma.

Kim444

5 Year Member
I have a little story to share. My friends neighbor got a pure bred german shepard puppy. He lived outdoors, in a tiny dog house that he quickly outgrew. We live in montreal, Quebec, where it can be -30 degrees for 10 days in a row with hail storms, tons of snow etc... I secretly called animal control to file a complaint because the dog had sores on it's paws, the shelter it had was too small and the dog was very thin. Sadly animal control went and found the dog to be thin, but not TOO thin, he had food and shelter and in Quebec, that;s all an owner has to provide :-(. My friend couldn't take it anymore and offered to keep the dog in her house on cold nights, well nights turned into weeks and they didn't even come asking about the dog. Then one day, the husband comes and says they need the dog back because their 5 yr old suddenly misses it. Two nights later, my friend pulls into her driveway and notices her neighbor hosing down the dog in the garage. They had placed him in a cage, in an unheated garage and he was spraying him with the hose. You know why? Well he said it was my friends fault because since he's been in her house for so long, he now barks continuously outside. She was so mad, she went inside, wrote a check for $500 and gave to the neighbor. He of course took it wanting to get the dog off his hands. My friends husband didn't speak to her for a week. They did not have $500 to spend, they already had 2 dogs, and 4 kids, 2 of them young. But she just couldn't take watching the abuse that poor dog went through for the year they had him.

I think if you tell your sister in law that you have become very attached to the tort and you want to pay for him because obviously she paid for it, I think she'll give you the tort. Maybe dishing out $100 now will be cheaper than you getting the tort in 6 months when it is in dire need of hundreds in vet bills.

I bet she'll take the $100 in a heartbeat.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
What a sad story Kim444. Thank goodness for your kindhearted friend.
I wonder how some folks were raised that they have no empathy for an innocent creature (or child).

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.