I need expertise lighting advise for our Sulcata's home PLEASE!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
The new members of our family will more than likely be here by this weekend (I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!) anyway, my husband is still working on their house and soon he'll be installing the roof which will have the light fixtures installed, my question is in which part of the little house should he put the UVB and the Heat lights? In the room right where they will walk into which is also the larger room, or in their little cozy room where my husband is standing next to? Also, should we put heat lights, UVB plus a radiator heater?

Thank you for your time!!!! :)
Addie
PS: By the way, their home will be outside and I live in Louisiana, so it's pretty humid and our winters are no where near being as brutal as places like Colorado, it's not California or Florida like either but not a whole lot different.

image-4225846340.png

Attachments

• image-3575367.png
    image-3575367.png
    224 KB · Views: 26
  • image-3313716284.png
    image-3313716284.png
    231 KB · Views: 22

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
RE: I need expertise lighting advise for out Sulcata torts PLEASE!!!! :)

Is this an indoor enclosure or outdoor?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ok...if its outdoors, you shouldn't have to worry about any additional UV lighting because the tortoises will get that from the sun.

You just need to worry about heating it in cooler weather. I'll let someone more experienced comment on that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would first get a double thermostat to plug your heating elements into. This way you don't have to worry if too cold or too hot. I would do without a UVB, I don't thinks it is need either. I would go with a radiant heat panel for the larger room and add a heat light or ceramic heat emitter to the little room for basking when temps aren't warm enough outside. You might be able to get away with just heating the smaller room for basking and enough heat might keep the larger area warm enough but also be there cooling spot. You will probably have to pick an idea and then see how it goes in the colder weather. Have something available if more heat is then needed. Others will have some ideas for you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.