Can Torts Co-Exsist With Other Pets?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
But you write it yourself: It is scared when it sees a cat. My torts never reacted to a cat near them as long as they couldn't see it, even if it was only 10" away (behind a fence or other barrier).

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
But you write it yourself: It is scared when it sees a cat. My torts never reacted to a cat near them as long as they couldn't see it, even if it was only 10" away (behind a fence or other barrier).
Yes I did say so. And for this reason I am still hesitant and I have not taken a decision.

Turtlepete

South Florida
If this is a question of letting them co-habitate, obviously not, since tortoises need their own enclosure. But all of my cats and dogs are quite curious about my torts, and vice versa. One of my cats hangs out in the adult reds enclosure all the time. He knows not to lounge around or he might get nipped, but he's usually pretty curious about them. They've jumped on the shell of big sulcatas before. The dogs don't give them a second look. Pretty sure they think they are just rocks.

Just an edit, I might as well mention I don't force anything on my torts. I don't make an active effort to "acclimate" them to the cats and dogs. They do that all by themselves. If they are bothered by their presence, they are free to leave, as none of the cats and dogs are overbearing. They aren't harassing them. Just a little sniff, the cats might rub against them like they do to humans legs (which the tortoises actually appreciate, to a degree ;)). This is also only with adults….I wouldn't allow them around hatchlings or very young tortoises. Too fragile.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If this is a question of letting them co-habitate, obviously not, since tortoises need their own enclosure. But all of my cats and dogs are quite curious about my torts, and vice versa. One of my cats hangs out in the adult reds enclosure all the time. He knows not to lounge around or he might get nipped, but he's usually pretty curious about them. They've jumped on the shell of big sulcatas before. The dogs don't give them a second look. Pretty sure they think they are just rocks.
That's interesting. Excuse my question: did a cat/dog ever try to annoy a tort? I sincerely hope not, and also hope that my question didn't bother you.

Turtlepete

South Florida
That's interesting. Excuse my question: did a cat/dog ever try to annoy a tort? I sincerely hope not, and also hope that my question didn't bother you.

Haha, I just edited my other post to elaborate on that. No, not bothering. If they are overbearing or harassing I wouldn't allow any contact. Just a curious sniff here and there. This is only with my adult reds really, who are so outgoing they are curious to nearly everything.

Prairie Mom

I think chances are pretty good that everyone involved will adjust and relax as long as they are kept from harm.

Kittens can be pretty mischievous and CRAZY. The one I happened to show in the photo was the youngest cat I've ever gotten. It chewed and ate things worse than a puppy. I had to do all kinds of crazy child-proofing and even separated her from the other animals at times, just to give my other pets a break from HER. Now, YEARS LATER, she's settled down and is part of the family with no problems.

I only mention this to suggest the idea of considering a more mature cat. Often the places you adopt from have a good idea of the cat's personality and can help you pick a more relaxed calm feline who is not much of a hunter... :D :D :D

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
Larger wild cats are one of the main predators for Redfoots, I know that. However my tortoise has often chased my cats, and actually likes to hide under them for warmth. The older cat isn't bothered by her, but I did catch the younger kitten patting the back of my tortoise's shell in a probing manner. Ever since then she isn't allowed near the tortoise when she is out of her enclosure.

rkelleh

Hanford, California
I have several animals including 3 cats. The cats seem more interested in watching our chameleons in their cages. When stepping away for a slight second, sometimes they are on the screen of the cage. I keep them separate from the torts and only when the torts are soaking is when they are in the same room. I stand watch and the cats are fine sitting on the back of the couch with curiosity watching. I have a squirt bottle handy and use that for cat training. The cats also have their own room that they are tucked away in when we are sleeping or away at work. I think it's fine to have whatever animals you want however as many have said, keep them separated from the torts. It is just a safety precaution for all involved. Good luck on the kitty if you choose to get one.