I luv Androids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
onarock said:
Cory, its a newer form of communication that has taken 30 sec conversations and turned them into 10min conversations.

coreyc said:
onarock said:
I'm with you Tom, I couldnt even pronounce one of those words and I could even begin to tell anyone their significance. I have an LG flip phone, not "smart" and no keyboard, so texting is almost out of the question.

Tom said:
What? We speak English here on this forum. Can someone under 20 years old explain what he just said?

Hey Onarock what's texting?

and has removed Uncomfortable silence and wasted minutes :p

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
I may just look into this rooting. I read a couple of places stating it could really mess it up if you do it wrong...that has me worried.

Otherwise my main concern is my battery life on my Incredible.

Droid words is WAY better than Words with Friends. Droid words has a much better scrabble board...

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Fernando:

What would you say is the technical level required to confidently go "off the grid" and root an Android phone? You certainly seem to have a higher than normal level of tech savvy blood in your veins. Would you recommend it for any old user?

I always built my own PCs. I was a mac hater, big time. I could always build something that was bigger and faster and less money than a mac. But, I never seemed to be tech savvy enough to keep their performance up. My machines performance and speed always seemed to decline somewhat quickly and instability always ensued.

Then I got turned onto the mac. I gave up open platform and "customizability" for stability and long term performance. (I do miss having every Nintendo, Genesis, Neo Geo game known to man!). I've never looked back.

This has been my fear with smart phones. I love my iPhone. (I'm sure I would love a Droid as well.). My iPhones have all been rock solid and have become a huge part of my life, certainly professionally but personally as well. People have told me about some great Jailbroken apps, and I've seen some cool rooted features on the Droids. (Ability to tether for free is above all else what I covet most.). I just don't know if I can risk instability!!! I rely on the phone 100% for work.

BUT, playing Zelda on my iPad using my iPhone as a controller is just so damn tempting!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Rooting CAN be risky if you don't follow instructions...but now a days if you "brick" your phone there are ways to get it back up and running. I would def. do my research into my specific phone.

They have made it easy now a days and have 'one-click rooting apps'

If you have any questions regarding your phone...let me know I can maybe give you some pointers or hints

CtTortoise said:
Fernando:

What would you say is the technical level required to confidently go "off the grid" and root an Android phone? You certainly seem to have a higher than normal level of tech savvy blood in your veins. Would you recommend it for any old user?

I always built my own PCs. I was a mac hater, big time. I could always build something that was bigger and faster and less money than a mac. But, I never seemed to be tech savvy enough to keep their performance up. My machines performance and speed always seemed to decline somewhat quickly and instability always ensued.

Then I got turned onto the mac. I gave up open platform and "customizability" for stability and long term performance. (I do miss having every Nintendo, Genesis, Neo Geo game known to man!). I've never looked back.

This has been my fear with smart phones. I love my iPhone. (I'm sure I would love a Droid as well.). My iPhones have all been rock solid and have become a huge part of my life, certainly professionally but personally as well. People have told me about some great Jailbroken apps, and I've seen some cool rooted features on the Droids. (Ability to tether for free is above all else what I covet most.). I just don't know if I can risk instability!!! I rely on the phone 100% for work.

BUT, playing Zelda on my iPad using my iPhone as a controller is just so damn tempting!

Hey Rob

Technical Level? Intermediate...which it sounds to me like you'd be okay, especially with the terms used. HOWEVER...if you are looking for just stability you might not want to go that route as far as rooting is concerned. The reason I say that is because you mention "off the grid" which is exactly what happens. Once you root:

1) You break warranty (software wise)
2) You lose the ability to do software updates (Except that if you've rooted most likely the developer of the phone's ROM you've converted to has already ported over the new update to his ROM. ROM is just a term used to describe the Interface that the developer has customized.

A lot of people don't like the 1st and it scares them. But I think it's really easy to do and I don't mind wiping my phone clean and starting over which only takes about 10 minutes and the joys of having root access outways the bad stuff In my opinion.

In your case Rob I'd probably stick with a non rooted Android phone. If you're on ATT you'd probably like the Samsung Captivate/fascinate i believe. Very vibrant big screen. Easy to learn.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Ok I got a Droid X today! My fiance has said for the last couple weeks when I talked about getting new phones that he wanted talk & text only. Now we both have Droids :) As soon as he heard the voice to navigate feature he was SOLD! ha ha it was great! He even had another phone picked out while I was asking questions about the droid. So any tips for a new droid owner on must have apps etc or things I need to know from someone more experienced?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
zoogrl said:
Ok I got a Droid X today! My fiance has said for the last couple weeks when I talked about getting new phones that he wanted talk & text only. Now we both have Droids :) As soon as he heard the voice to navigate feature he was SOLD! ha ha it was great! He even had another phone picked out while I was asking questions about the droid. So any tips for a new droid owner on must have apps etc or things I need to know from someone more experienced?

haha great! An Android convert :p

Apps wow there are so many out there...

Some that I like personally

AndExplorer (file explorer)
Androidify (fun little time waster)
Angry Birds (and Season Angry Birds)
Dictionary.com
Go!Chat (If you are a facebook chatter)
JEFIT (work out application)
KiK Messenger (you and your husband can text much faster w/ each other or other KiK people)
SkyFire (fast browser)
MotoTorch (LED application)
Movie Night
Movies (by flixter)
msnbc.com
Pandora
Slacker Radio
PicSay
Pulse
Tweet Deck
Words with friends
Tango
ToDo List widget
Zedge

There are many more out there...but I uninstall a lot when I don't use them much

methos75 said:
I don't have a Android phone, but I do have a Nook Color that I rooted for full Android, I love this thing. basically a Droid tablet for $250

the Nook is great...cheap way to get a tab and useful

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
pXUsV.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I heard on the 5'oclock news today that the Android's are the number one most widely sold phone, blackberry's are number two and Iphone comes in third.

pebblelu

5 Year Member
I'm just found this thread. I have a droid incredible and love it. It takes great pictures and video's. I take all my picture's with the phone now.
I just read a little bit ago about some one that collects flashlights, This has a real good on on the phone.
I've download movies on to the phone. I've learned quite about on the droid forum.
The picture in my avatar is with the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.