I swear, I didn't make this up!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
As many of you know, my basement was flooded and I'm now ready to empty the pod in my driveway back into my home and be back to normal again, for me that is.

I write letter to Packout(that's what they call it) man this morning and of course copy my Erie adjuster;

Good Morning Tom,

The Construction is complete and tomorrow we will be ready to have the pod emptied back into my basement. I wanted to give you more notice but we weren't sure the trash would be removed but we got it hauled last night. I will broom clean the floor tonight.

Let me know what your plans will be once you figure out the schedules for your guys.

Thanks Tom,

Jeff Kushner

A couple of hours later, I get this back from him;

Mr. Kushner,

I have added Maria and Kate in my office to this. Unfortunately we have a very large balance that has been sent to Erie that hasn’t been paid. We need to find out status of this payment and approvals before we can schedule. I see the adjuster is also on this string email so that’s good. Once this is resolved we can schedule the pod to be emptied.

Whom ever responds please reply all. Thank you

Thanks,

Tom D

I am really curious as to what "very large balance" means numerically. I'm a "Costs" guy and I roughly know the labor hours that were involved and material costs so naturally I'm dying to know what their bill was to Erie! In fact I may call Tom on the phone, he will tell me verbally what he probably shouldn't tell someone in an email when I give him that line....LOL

I'm not twisted over it, I have My stuff on My property secured with MY lock on MY driveway. Seems like a no lose for me but I'm not responding, it's up to the adjuster at this point. If I don't see activity in a week, I'll forward it to my agent. Got to keep them on their toes but I'm not forgetting so quickly that I'm recently a huge beneficiary of their processes, so why be in a rush?

The downside is there are 197 boxes in that pod plus a small amount of furniture. I don't really want to move it all myself, though I could get the bikes to my new shed at Kerry's and simply stack the boxes on that side of the garage 20 ft away but we've got time.

It is kinda funny to me though. This evening when I tell Kerry, I will sit back and enjoy as she "expresses her thoughts" on the phone. She's a caretaker so she will want to fix things for me....but at some point I will cut her off laughing...."it's ok honey, superman's got this".

LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The insurance is prob getting charged daily
Right, for now I would think it would still be their bill, but they only pay so much, there is a cap. That cap is when they reach what the insured amount was. Once they reach that amount, anything above that is the owners responsibility.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Right, for now I would think it would still be their bill, but they only pay so much, there is a cap. That cap is when they reach what the insured amount was. Once they reach that amount, anything above that is the owners responsibility.
Well the insurance company better get on it soon then. I don't see how the two companies can wait around not doing their job. Then blame the delay on the homeowner and charge them for it. That just doesn't make sense to me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well the insurance company better get on it soon then. I don't see how the two companies can wait around not doing their job. Then blame the delay on the homeowner and charge them for it. That just doesn't make sense to me.
Lol, have you ever dealt with insurance companies? We have to have it, but they are one of the biggest rip offs!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You guys, while I love ya, are focused on the "money" aspect. What if that didn't matter? I know, heresy right? What would have popped out to you if you put the $$ aspect aside?

My immediate thought and return sentence would have been more like, & cc'ing everyone of course: "Tom, that you use my request for completion as a vehicle to dispute contractual obligations is not only foolish as it certainly jeopardizes your Companies relationship, as someone who conducts business, it is also unethical."

I would have normally done this to stomp him, intentionally for such a cheesy move but then I thought, no rush & about those costs that I want to know.....I'll take his temp when I call him later. LOL

I won't say it to him but I was actually blown away that he even did that....really? To ERIE??? The surprising thing was, this wasn't a kid, he was a grown man with grey hair...heck even I know better and I'm stupid!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Lol, have you ever dealt with insurance companies? We have to have it, but they are one of the biggest rip offs!
Oh my garsh I had to today 😜an extended service plan for my gas oven. They're being typical but I'm not letting them wiggle their way out of it. At one point, I had a representative on my landline and the original representative calling my smartphone at the same time. I don't even know how they got my smartphone number when I gave them the landline number in the first place to call. It's ridiculous. My problem is covered and they are going to cover it one way or another.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh my garsh I had to today 😜an extended service plan for my gas oven. They're being typical but I'm not letting them wiggle their way out of it. At one point, I had a representative on my landline and the original representative calling my smartphone at the same time. I don't even know how they got my smartphone number when I gave them the landline number in the first place to call. It's ridiculous. My problem is covered and they are going to cover it one way or another.
Good luck and stick to it. That's the typical way insurance plays.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good luck and stick to it. That's the typical way insurance plays.
It's strange that a gas range bought in January of 2022 with a one year warranty lasted until now in 2023. Looks like somebody's plan to me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's strange that a gas range bought in January of 2022 with a one year warranty lasted until now in 2023. Looks like somebody's plan to me.
Is it a GE? They are junk. I had a frig that only lasted 2 or 3 years. My mom's washer, about 2 years, not working right. Never again a GE.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Appliances....they deserve a whole thread for that, right.....we all have war stories....

On it.....maybe tomorrow...depending on what time I wake....lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Is it a GE? They are junk. I had a frig that only lasted 2 or 3 years. My mom's washer, about 2 years, not working right. Never again a GE.
No not a GE. It's Amana that is a whirlpool and they're not much better. If I could have found an old gas range like they used to make I would have. My son knows how to refurbish them. It's all the safety devices and digital stuff that just won't hold up under everyday use. The stove I bought isn't even digital and it still didn't hold up. Every thing we buy nowadays is junk and destined for a landfill early. So much for trying to protect the environment. So maybe all these big companies should get some integrity and build a product that lasts so we don't have to carry a bunch of insurance that makes it difficult to be reimbursed for repairs that are covered.and needed because they make junk.

EricW

Houston, TX
Coming from an appliance background (delivery and installation) for a large box retailer (I wonder who?!), it is luck of the draw on appliances. Most last a long time, but a large percentage break. You don't buy who you think will last, you buy from who you think will have the best customer service. There is a reason why appliances only have a 1 year warranty. I used to think extended warranty's were not worth it, but I will tell you, you better get one for any appliance you get. The appliance companies know they will break, it is usually electronic and many cases just needs a new mother board. They do not do 6 sigma on electronics, so the margin of error is pretty high.

I been out of the industry for 3 years now.

However, the above isn't much different than anything else. Everything had gone to 1 to 3 year warranty's because they are crap. Companies are actually telling you how long to expect the product to last with their warranty. Vehicles, tires, etc. 30k mile tire is going to last you 35k miles. A 50k bumper to bumper on that Ford Escape, it is going to have issues past 50k. In Ford's case, before 50k miles too.

Last edited: