I know it's not a Tortoise, but I need some help IDing this Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHISIII

5 Year Member
I almost ran over this guy on the way home (got some really nasty looks from other drivers for swerving then stopping) He was a good ways from any water and doesn't look like the guys I see most often around here. I'm curious as to what he is as I don't want to release something that's not indigenous to my area.
2011-03-21_14-23-41_592.jpg

2011-03-21_14-24-03_321.jpg

2011-03-21_14-24-09_531.jpg

He was a bit terrified when I picked him up :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Joe:

South Carolina, right? From the nails and the shell I'm guessing an old male red ear slider. They turn melanistic with old age.

HHISIII

5 Year Member
Yup, south Carolina. The shell has me kinda confused as well. It doesn't appear to be an old injury and he doesn't have a spot of color anywhere on his skin.
Also, plastron is 12 scutes and yellow with black along the lines.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with yvonne, most likely an old RES with an odd shell.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What an odd looking little man! Thanks for saving him :)

HHISIII

5 Year Member
OK, I let him loose in the pond behind the house and he swam off happily. Hopefully he'll join the colony of younger RES in there.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Everyone gave it a good go, but it's not a Red-eared slider. :p Red-eared sliders aren't native to North Carolina, but Yellow-bellied sliders are. Though this isn't a Yellow-bellied slider. :p It's an old male Northern red bellied cooter, Pseudemys rubriventris. They are native to Northeastern North Carolina.

Danny

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
old yellow bellies turn black as well and are native to S.C. but it does look like a red bellie but i've never seen one with a yellow plateron here (in Middle River) they are usually more of an orange

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
egyptiandan said:
Everyone gave it a good go, but it's not a Red-eared slider. :p Red-eared sliders aren't native to North Carolina, but Yellow-bellied sliders are. Though this isn't a Yellow-bellied slider. :p It's an old male Northern red bellied cooter, Pseudemys rubriventris. They are native to Northeastern North Carolina.

Danny

So nice to have you back Danny. :D

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You can also tell it's a Pseudemys rubriventris because it lacks the cusps found on Pseudemys nelsoni.

Status
Not open for further replies.