Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Exactly one week ago today he came out of the egg.. the yolk-sac -

a130YOLK.jpg

He's starting to move around some now -

a130RF.jpg

I'm not real big on "flashing" their faces this soon so we'll have better pics shortly. And then the first "BITE" -

a130RC.jpg

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Beautiful Terry. He's just wonderful. :) Babies they are the cutest always.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
He's so dark! Wow!

Very pretty definitely.

Did you mix brazilian and columbian as to why you don't know if it's cherryhead? Wouldn't it be best to keep the lines separate?

He's very pretty.. Definitely very dark, but it's different.

Why did you not know if it was cherryhead or not? Did you mix brazilian and columbian tortoises? Wouldn't it be best to leave the lines separate? I know with most snake species, the different locales are best bred together, not mixed. I have seen some people mix the different RF locales, but I figure a you would want to keep everything pure...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
goReptiles said:
He's so dark! Wow!

Very pretty definitely.

Did you mix brazilian and columbian as to why you don't know if it's cherryhead? Wouldn't it be best to keep the lines separate?

He's very pretty.. Definitely very dark, but it's different.

Why did you not know if it was cherryhead or not? Did you mix brazilian and columbian tortoises? Wouldn't it be best to leave the lines separate? I know with most snake species, the different locales are best bred together, not mixed. I have seen some people mix the different RF locales, but I figure a you would want to keep everything pure...

I believe when you start reading this thread at the start your Q?'s will be answered...

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
What's it been now? 10 days out of the egg?

a2042010P.jpg

The above shows "right-on-schedule" yolk-absorbtion and progress!

I took him out of the 'nursery' incubator and placed him into his own little sweater box.. with "ambient" light. He did 'come-out' and look around a little - and then when I came back an hour later he was in his moss.

Earlier this evening he was offered a small Hibiscus leaf under 'full' light.. see what he did - [ he didn't like the light ] -

a2042010LF.jpg

He is a HUGE hatchling.. he was actually 6 weeks old when he hatched -

a2042010hand.jpg

Just didn't like the light! -

a2042010C.jpg

NOW ----- You just received your first new hatchling from a breeder somewhere online.. no yolk-sac.. looks good.. hides and won't eat! What do you do??? Let's just see how long it takes for him to eat...

Terry K

BTW - Are we learning anything?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
HUGE??!! Well, that proves all concepts are "relative", so to speak. :p

Maybe he would eat in the dark? :cool:

Good luck, Daddy. ;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Stephanie Logan said:
HUGE??!! Well, that proves all concepts are "relative", so to speak. :p

Maybe he would eat in the dark? :cool:

Good luck, Daddy. ;)

HUGE??!! Yup.. a 2 week-old redfoot hatchling almost 2" SCL is huge!

I hope you are being funny when you say ".... eat in the dark?".

I have been trying to make the point that a hatchling does live off of the yolk-sac for awhile - even after the 'outside' sac is absorbed. The light reaction simply represented that it was too soon for it to be interested in eating.. solid food.

I had placed a small leaf out in the new sweater box for him...no signs of even a nibble.. found him in the moss - the most he had ever moved in his life - "One step at a time"!

AND.. again too many times a hatchling is sold before the eating 'habits' are established.. and this "not eating" behavior is misunderstood as something wrong! Then comes all of the advise of what could be wrong.. and eventually - "Take it to the Vet! And the only thing was.. that it isn't old enough to eat yet. [ not to mention the stress from shipping, handling, soaking and too much light ]

Are we learning anything?

NERD

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I was joking. I have many times read your views on selling hatchlings too young...

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
I believe when you start reading this thread at the start your Q?'s will be answered...

Terry K

Thanks anyway as I did read... Found the answer in another thread after posting this

Not sure why you're so rude. By the way I emailed you a few questions a while back before I found this forum and you were very rude and never answered any of the questions I asked just referred me to your website, which is where I got your contact. Just had a few extra questions I didn't fully understand after reading your site, thought I'd ask; it was a mistake. Just thought I'd let you know, as you stopped replying to me. You started rounding your sentences in circles, and when I tried to clarify what you were saying you stopped replying. Didn't appreciate it. Nor did I appreciate being spoken to in a downgrading tone. Definitely lost my respect as a reptile breeder (pretty sure you don't care though). Customer service is key. Sorry but you lack it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi GoReptiles:

While I can understand your frustration due to getting the run-around and not having your emails answered, the open forum really isn't the place for you to tell Terry about it. It would be much better for you to send him a private message.

I can assure you that if you ask your questions here on the forum, in a new thread (not this thread), we will be more than happy to help you . There are quite a few redfoot keepers here on the forum, and we won't ignore you...I promise!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Awww his first meal should have been a hibiscus flower, I guarantee he would have eaten it light or no light. I am calling him a he even though I have no proof one way or the other of sex yet, just my chauvanistic side showing.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
dmmj said:
Awww his first meal should have been a hibiscus flower, I guarantee he would have eaten it light or no light. I am calling him a he even though I have no proof one way or the other of sex yet, just my chauvanistic side showing.

dmmj.. you wouldn't have wanted to put $$ on him eating "light or no light" that early.. I'm yet to see one eat that early. He did eat part of a leaf a couple days ago.. just a nibble actually!

He is just a generic term for the "unknown" sex isn't it?

Terry

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry

It could be "she".
Some get offended if you automatically use "he".
But it's not grammatically correct to use "he/she".
We're supposed to pick one or the other.
I always use "he" because my college English teacher always did.
And my teacher is a "she".

ETA: I emailed you, Terry, I sent you some pics of Stag.
So email me back this time, will ya? :p

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
goReptiles said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

Thanks anyway as I did read... Found the answer in another thread after posting this

Not sure why you're so rude. By the way I emailed you a few questions a while back before I found this forum and you were very rude and never answered any of the questions I asked just referred me to your website, which is where I got your contact. Just had a few extra questions I didn't fully understand after reading your site, thought I'd ask; it was a mistake. Just thought I'd let you know, as you stopped replying to me. You started rounding your sentences in circles, and when I tried to clarify what you were saying you stopped replying. Didn't appreciate it. Nor did I appreciate being spoken to in a downgrading tone. Definitely lost my respect as a reptile breeder (pretty sure you don't care though). Customer service is key. Sorry but you lack it.

Yvonne was right you know. ( what's your name? ) Where is the wisdom in doing what you did.. especially with absolutely no evidence?

Would you refresh my memory as to the emails that you claim I didn't reply to?

What do these say?.. http://www.turtletary.com/ns241/index.php
Many of which aren't even "customers".

What could I have possibly said that hadn't been said on the pages that were designed to answer your questions?

Terry K

Chewbecca said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry

It could be "she".
Some get offended if you automatically use "he".
But it's not grammatically correct to use "he/she".
We're supposed to pick one or the other.
I always use "he" because my college English teacher always did.
And my teacher is a "she".

ETA: I emailed you, Terry, I sent you some pics of Stag.
So email me back this time, will ya? :p

That's what I was trying to say Rebecca.. but I didn't know how to say "grammatically correct".

Since Monday I've been dealing with some kind of mean/nasty virus that jumped all over my computer! Like I told you on the phone.. I went to a sight I had no reason to think was "unclean" - next thing I knew there were pics of [ they weren't boys ] doing "unclean" things and the more I tried to get away the worse it got! :(

I've been learning how to re-install the "Operating System" and everything else on my computer. I lost all of the recent pics.. my smilies.. etc., etc.! I usually 'back-up' new folders on my external hard drive on a regular basis.........

So anyone who has tried to email etc. this week.. that's the short of the long. I'll catch up ASAP.. still re-installing! Try to imagine what it would be like to lose all of your "Favorites" and your "My Pictures" ! I might have some of them on the old computer.. I hope.

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
goReptiles said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

Another thing you may want to consider Go.....

You have displayed an attitude accusing someone for not catering to your wants..... help that was freely offered!?

You expected me to go out of my way to help you with a redfoot you didn't even get from me?

I agree customer service is key - but you are not my 'customer'! Wisdom on my part huh?

Terry K

BTW.. how do you tell a downgrading tone in the written word?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
FINALLY................. I've found the tunnel where the light at the end is!

He took his first nibble earlier this week.. about 2 weeks out of the egg - which is typical.. not quite a week after he had absorbed his yolk-sac.

Picture038a.jpg

His "first" meal video as promised -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZIfI4CLEAw

He likes the 'curly endive'... look at that "egg-tooth"...

This one starts off great.. and then fades away -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhT0aRc8M8

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.