I have found some issues on my Hermanns tortoise shell (red spot and breakage)

Appliedcello

Location (City and/or State)
Lafayette
Let us know what the vet has to say so we can tell if our opinions were correct or not, please. Thanks!
I just got back from the vet, and he said that the red spots and cracks are all normal. He did recommend that I not use cypress multch as substrate, but use astroturf. He said it was because he is not a fan of them standing on woodchips all day. He said the red spots most likely could be irritation from the multch Im using.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
I'm glad to see that no one is extremely concerned about the damage. It will be interesting to hear what the vet says.

Just be careful...if something doesn't feel right, question the vet thoroughly.
please. Thanks!
I just got back from the vet, and he said that the red spots and cracks are all normal. He did recommend that I not use cypress multch as substrate, but use astroturf. He said it was because he is not a fan of them standing on woodchips all day. He said the red spots most likely could be irritation from the multch Im using.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hmmmm that is a very strange recommendation to switch to astroturf. Does the vet realize these are burrowing tortoises and they can’t burrow in fake grass? You can do what you feel comfortable with, but I would definitely not replace the mulch with astroturf.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't think many people here would agree with your vet about using astro turf.
It is not a natural material for them and would smell and go mouldy and not give then the opportunity to dig.
Have a look at the caresheet for his species and see what is recommended there. I believe cyprus mulch is used by many members but there are other options.
I'm glad he isn't concerned about your tort's shell.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
Hmmmm that is a very strange recommendation to switch to astroturf. Does the vet realize these are burrowing tortoises and they can’t burrow in fake grass? You can do what you feel comfortable with, but I would definitely not replace the mulch with astroturf.
I agree, im not going to switch but try to see if there is a softer form of substrate I can use

Appliedcello

Lafayette
I don't think many people here would agree with your vet about using astro turf.
It is not a natural material for them and would smell and go mouldy and not give then the opportunity to dig.
Have a look at the caresheet for his species and see what is recommended there. I believe cyprus mulch is used by many members but there are other options.
I'm glad he isn't concerned about your tort's shell.
Thank you! Yes I am not going to switch to astroturf, but I am going to see if there is a softer form of substrate to use. Thank you for the input!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you! Yes I am not going to switch to astroturf, but I am going to see if there is a softer form of substrate to use. Thank you for the input!
Coco coir with orchid bark maybe? I'm sure the caresheet will help.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I wouldnt go back to that Vet, they have just displayed their lack of understanding of torts pretty clearly. That said, I dont care for cypress mulch. Orchid bark is much better, as is coco coir, although the latter can get pretty messy.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
I wouldnt go back to that Vet, they have just displayed their lack of understanding of torts pretty clearly.
I wouldn't, but that is the only vet around here that services exotics. I would have to drive an hour and a half to the next one. But that is something that I just might have to do now.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I wouldn't, but that is the only vet around here that services exotics. I would have to drive an hour and a half to the next one. But that is something that I just might have to do now.

It is pretty rare in my experience that a tort needs a vet with good husbandry. I took mine once and with what I know now I wouldnt have done so, it was unnecessary, the exotics vet still prescribed anti-biotic injections daily and increased vits, both of which were unneccessary as well. Unless I wanted test results or medications they control, or if there was an emergency I wouldnt take him again.

The best indicator of your torts health is typically behaviour, with time you will be able to notice subtle changes in behaviour, activity levels, aggression, appetite, and bowel movements. Few vets see torts enough to be able to spot the subtle differences owners do.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with your tort, the redness is nothing adverse, there is live growing bone under the shell, it has a blood supply, the shell is semi transparent, it is not unusual to see colouration changes like this, and more importantly, there is no other reason for you to suspect that your tort is not well.

Last edited:

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
It is pretty rare in my experience that a tort needs a vet with good husbandry. I took mine once and with what I know now I wouldnt have done so, it was unnecessary, the exotics vet still prescribed anti-biotic injections daily and increased vits, both of which were unneccessary as well. Unless I wanted test results or medications they control, or if there was an emergency I wouldnt take him again.

The best indicator of your torts health is typically behaviour, with time you will be able to notice subtle changes in behaviour, activity levels, aggression, appetite, and bowel movements. Few vets see torts enough to be able to spot the subtle differences owners do.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with your tort, the redness is nothing adverse, there is live growing bone under the shell, it has a blood supply, the shell is semi transparent, it is not unusual to see colouration changes like this, and more importantly, there is no other reason for you to suspect that your tort is not well.
This is very true. I took my Hermann’s tortoise for a wellness check shortly after I got him and before I left, the vet said “I printed off some information sheets for you to read”. I thanked her and went on my way. When I got in the car and looked at the papers she had printed out, it was a really bad care sheet for Sulcata tortoises. The other point to my visit was to see if I’d be comfortable taking my tortoise there if he ever did truly need a vet. Needless to say, I won’t be going back to that vet.

Appliedcello

Lafayette

Thank you so much for your comment. I am a very very new tortoise owner and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Im just glad that she is fine. I just get very worried when I see subtle changes to the shell because I know that I dont know everything. I am so glad that online forums like this exists with very active and expierenced members that can help me out in times like these. I really appreciate it.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
This is very true. I took my Hermann’s tortoise for a wellness check shortly after I got him and before I left, the vet said “I printed off some information sheets for you to read”. I thanked her and went on my way. When I got in the car and looked at the papers she had printed out, it was a really bad care sheet for Sulcata tortoises. The other point to my visit was to see if I’d be comfortable taking my tortoise there if he ever did truly need a vet. Needless to say, I won’t be going back to that vet.
Yes. I took her when I first got her just to see if she would give any diseases to my cats that I have if they comingled in any way, also I wanted to know the overall health. I figured out it was unnecessary. But I took her again this time and it was literally a 5 minute visit. All he did was move her around and check her and ask questions. Charged me $70 for nothing.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Yes. I took her when I first got her just to see if she would give any diseases to my cats that I have if they comingled in any way, also I wanted to know the overall health. I figured out it was unnecessary. But I took her again this time and it was literally a 5 minute visit. All he did was move her around and check her and ask questions. Charged me $70 for nothing.
We live and learn. Thankfully in your case and mine, no harm was done. For what it’s worth, I also really feel your torts shell is nothing to be concerned with. You’re doing a great job and you found the best place to get good information from trustworthy people. There is so much to learn, so what you’re feeling is completely normal. My best suggestion is to stick to this forum for expanding your knowledge and keep asking questions as things come up.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much for your comment. I am a very very new tortoise owner and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Im just glad that she is fine. I just get very worried when I see subtle changes to the shell because I know that I dont know everything. I am so glad that online forums like this exists with very active and expierenced members that can help me out in times like these. I really appreciate it.
I very seriously doubt that cypress mulch caused any irritation to the shell of your tortoise. I kept ALL of my tortoises (literally hundreds of them, from week-old babies to full grown adults) on both eucalyptus mulch (very hard to find these days, but virtually the same as the cypress mulch) and cypress mulch for 30 years or more and none of them ever had a problem.

I would try the orchid bark if you are still fearful of the cypress mulch, but again, I think that is totally unfounded. Definitely don't use any type of carpeting or Astroturf.