I have found some issues on my Hermanns tortoise shell (red spot and breakage)

Appliedcello

Location (City and/or State)
Lafayette
As I was giving her soak today I noticed a small break in her shell and a red spot near her back leg on the plasteron.

She is still eating and does not appear lethargic. I have changed her bedding about 3 weeks ago to a mixture of topsoil and cypress multch. I usually use another type of multch and top soil, but thought that the cypress multch would better suit her.

I am very worried about her health and any help would be greatly appreciated

20210320_202802.jpg20210320_202755.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is there any possibility that she has taken a fall? There had to be some kind of impact to crack the shell and bruise her...at least, that's what it seems like to me.

Any chance a dog "played" with her? Usually dogs puncture the shell, but sometimes strange things happen.

I'll tag a member that might know.

@Yvonne G

Appliedcello

Lafayette
Is there any possibility that she has taken a fall? There had to be some kind of impact to crack the shell and bruise her...at least, that's what it seems like to me.

Any chance a dog "played" with her? Usually dogs puncture the shell, but sometimes strange things happen.

I'll tag a member that might know.

@Yvonne G

It might be my cats. I tried my best to cat proof the enclosure but they have gotten in there at times. Now it is much better and they haven't been in there in months. Do you know how to repair a shell?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It might be my cats. I tried my best to cat proof the enclosure but they have gotten in there at times. Now it is much better and they haven't been in there in months. Do you know how to repair a shell?

I don't know how, but Yvonne might know.

It might be best to just leave it alone to heal.

Wait for her to comment...she's really excellent on injury treatments.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I don’t think the images are clear enough to determine what is going on.

pictures should be taken under indirect ambient natural light. Like by a window that is not directly in the sun but on a bright day. Clean both spots up as well as you can.

I can’t tell if the spot on the side and the bottom might both be spots that have worn through the shell or if it is something else. Minor shell damage like worn spots and small chips and breaks will heal over time by growing new shell over the exposed bone, but like I said, can’t see from these images what is what.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't see it well enough to offer an opinion, but from your description I wondered if she was stepped on.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
I don’t think the images are clear enough to determine what is going on.

pictures should be taken under indirect ambient natural light. Like by a window that is not directly in the sun but on a bright day. Clean both spots up as well as you can.

I can’t tell if the spot on the side and the bottom might both be spots that have worn through the shell or if it is something else. Minor shell damage like worn spots and small chips and breaks will heal over time by growing new shell over the exposed bone, but like I said, can’t see from these images what is what.
I have took pictures as you have stated. Are these any better?

20210322_185623.jpg20210322_185639.jpg

Appliedcello

Lafayette
I can't see it well enough to offer an opinion, but from your description I wondered if she was stepped on.
She has not been stepped on while she has been in my care. I have had her for about 6 months. I have attached pictures that show the spots more. Please let me know if these work.

Attachments

• 20210322_185639.jpg
    20210322_185639.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210322_185623.jpg
    20210322_185623.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Much better pics thank you.

While this doesnt look very nice, I wouldnt be too concerned tbh. The damage to the side is minor and looks like impact damage. If it hasnt fallen a good few inches onto something hard recently, then I would be looking for what it might be bashing its shell against in its enclosure, The reality is this kind of damage doesnt heal in the sense that it will look totally normal again, but it will heal and the tort will be unnaffected. It is best to clean and smooth any lose or jagged pieces.

The redness isnt something to worry about imo.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
Much better pics thank you.

While this doesnt look very nice, I wouldnt be too concerned tbh. The damage to the side is minor and looks like impact damage. If it hasnt fallen a good few inches onto something hard recently, then I would be looking for what it might be bashing its shell against in its enclosure, The reality is this kind of damage doesnt heal in the sense that it will look totally normal again, but it will heal and the tort will be unnaffected. It is best to clean and smooth any lose or jagged pieces.

The redness isnt something to worry about imo.
I think it might be the new cypress multch I bought. But thank you for your opinion. Im still taking her to the vet just to be sure, but thank you so much for your opinion. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy good and soft cypress multch? I usually buy from home depot. I am so relieved that you think that its not something serious.

Appliedcello

Lafayette
Those look like old scars to me rather than any kind of new injury. I think it is possible they have been there for some time, but were just noticed by the OP yesterday. I don't think there is a problem based on what I can see.
Thank you for your opinion. I greatly appreciate it. I have been reading that red on tortoise shells could be SCUD, so I was really concerned with that. But I am glad that my mind is at ease now. I am still taking her to the vet just to make sure, but I am thankful for your input.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you for your opinion. I greatly appreciate it. I have been reading that red on tortoise shells could be SCUD, so I was really concerned with that. But I am glad that my mind is at ease now. I am still taking her to the vet just to make sure, but I am thankful for your input.
Let us know what the vet has to say so we can tell if our opinions were correct or not, please. Thanks!

zovick

10 Year Member!
By the way, what does SCUD stand for?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Septicaemic Ulcerative Shell Disease
Interesting.... have been in the tortoise hobby since 1958 and have worked with numerous exotics veterinarians who are/were associated with some very well-known zoos and I have never before heard that term.

Your tortoise does not have any type of septicemia from what I can see in your photos.

Are you from Lafayette, GA or where is your town?

Appliedcello

Lafayette
Interesting.... have been in the tortoise hobby since 1958 and have worked with numerous exotics veterinarians who are/were associated with some very well-known zoos and I have never before heard that term.

Your tortoise does not have any type of septicemia from what I can see in your photos.
It could very well be that my source is just bad haha. Sorry for the confusion. Im from Lafayette, LA

Last edited: