1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

I have a third tortoise to exhibit egg laying behavior! :-) :-)

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by Stoneman, Aug 4, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pacific Northwest, United States
    I am so excited to announce that my 2nd of the three powerpuff girls has exhibited egg laying behavior. This will be my third female tortoise ever two have done this under my care. My first laid a last year. Then her second last month. My second tort laid a single egg shortly after. I went outside to pick them up in the dark to bring them in for the night, and I noticed she was acting differently, and sure enough. exhibiting nest building behavior! yaaay!

Of all the spots she could have chosen in the huge outdoor enclosure, and she decides to excavate right about the concrete foundation of a post. I let her be for a couple hours until just now when I put get inside for her health risk. Hopefully she lays overnight or picks a better spot for tomorrow. :)

Attached Files:

2. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    What does "just now when I put get inside for her health risk." mean, what health risk?
  3. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

I just read over that and I see what you mean, it's not very clear.

I let her be for a couple of hours after discovering she was attempting to lay. I then put her inside after realizing she was not making any progress, due to the health risks of leaving her outside overnight.
  4. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Put them back outside today, and she HAD to pick the EXACT same spot to try to next. In all of their expansive enclosure, she thinks that pipe's 6" of concrete foundation is the only spot worth laying. This is ridiculous.

Attached Files:

5. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

What should I do?