I have a star tortoise, confused on what to feed

mrinalp1

I have two star tortoises, I am very much confused on what to feed it, it eats lettuce and some other things, but I really am confused, I brought some pellets too, but they don't have it. It's a big discussion for me actually, so please help out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I have some stars too. I wrote this care seer for sulcatas and leopards, but I house my stars exactly the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

This one might have some useful tips for you too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Finally, here is a food thread. I wrote it for sulcatas, so you can skip the text and scroll down to the food list. I do feed some grass to my stars, but not as much as a sulcata.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

mrinalp1

Honestly speaking I got so messed up in this app that I didn't receive any notifications regarding any posts, now I know how to check it, il go through it asap, thank you for your response

mrinalp1

Unfortunately whatever u have mentioned here, those greens are definitely hard to get in Mumbai, what we get her is spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, cabbage, carrots, lettuce, and hay, yes I do have the calcium supplement, but all the other veggies are somehow not available here. And please tell me how much should I feed it, it's about the size of my palm, and my mom keeps a lot of things in their dish, eventually we have to throw it away as the don't eat everything everyday, so what would be the right quantity and how often should I feed them, the enclosure is not a problem I've got it all sorted out perfectly before even getting them

mrinalp1

This one was very very helpful, just that he mentions that cactus pads should and can be fed daily, but I don't know whether il get it here or not, so I've put up a personal message to him, thanks anyway it has got many many more alternatives for me

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Glad you are getting some good help!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@mrinalp1

I've spent a little time working in India. I never got out of the car much, unfortunately. Driving around in most cities, I saw plenty of very small vegetable stalls in different neighborhoods. Stall might not be the the best word, sometimes it was just a vendor sitting on the ground.

I never knew if the vegetables being sold were grown by the sellers themselves or if they were reselling food they'd bought elsewhere. If you have a regular person you or your mom shop from, would they be able to obtain leaves from squash, gourds, or cucumbers for you?

Can you get gongura there? It's a hibiscus plant, which is safe for tortoises. I'm not sure what it would be called in Maharashtra.

I know how little space for growing things there is in Mumbai; I hope you are successful in finding additional foods. :)