I have a question about my Baby box turtle

TurtandTortlover099

Location (City and/or State)
Central California (Clovis)
I keep my boxie indoors because the average temp where I live is over 100 during summer. I plan to keep him indoors his whole life. Do I need to take him outside occasionally? In fall, winter, and spring to?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
being outdoors is better if the temps are decent. i imagine your other seasons are cooler and therefore, tolerable.

Meant to add- being a baby, you should supervise for the first year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also live in Clovis. I keep my baby box turtles in their first year, then I put them out during the day then in at night for another year. So after two years, they move outside permanently. If you have a well-planted yard for your box turtle and a swimming pool big enough for his whole body to fit into, our weather shouldn't be a problem for him.

TurtandTortlover099

Central California (Clovis)
I have a large dog, And giant raccoons and possums in my neighborhood. So I will have to make a very protected outdoor enclosure if I where to move him outside. I will take him outside to explore ocasionally once it cools down.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
At least let him catch some natural organic solar radiation occasionally.
I put mine in stock tanks of water secured with welded-wire fencing laid on top. And a bit of shade if they want it. They float around for much of the day and seem content with the lifestyle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think there's an age limit.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
if you have a rubbermaid container, you can take it outside on nice days and let him get some sun. but provide some shade, as someone had mentioned. and check on him every now and then.

Daniel Torres

My three toed box baby lives outside... and I am in Texas. Its been hovering int he 90's but the outside Habitat is in shade all day long. I do have a small pond feature in there but burrowing is a constant event. I will be moving the box indoors during the winter but outdoors is where my boxie lives right now. I adopted my box so I am not sure how old it is but its pretty small. I have thought about moving my box indoors but want to provide the most natural habitat I can.