I didn't hurt it did I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianTheGirl

5 Year Member
So today was the first day I ever took my baby red eared slider outside to run around. It dove into the ground and started digging, it alarmed me and got too deep so I gently tried to pull it out but it really fought me. I dug around it and continued to pull the best I could by its shell, and after a minute or so I got it out.
The ordeal alarmed me and my fear is that I hurt my baby, since I had to pull and I assume it dig its nails into the dirt to fight it. Once it was in my hands it seemed perfectly fine, it wasn't limping, making any weird sounds, it wasn't making any indication whatsoever it was in pain, but I guess I just need a second opinion. I'm not sure how strong or resilient turtles are I just feel bad and I'm sorry for it :/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't worry, I am sure he is just fine. I would have done the same thing, thinking I was going to lose him.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont think you will be doing that again!
should be ok.. but why take a water turtle out and place on the ground?
it probably felt very threatened out of its enviroment.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The OP has to be a joke under someone that's been banned.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You are fine in freaking out....it is surprising the first time you are faced with just how strong turtle and tortoise are....:p The little one is likely going to be aok---especially if it is using all of its arms and moving around fine....

I have had to lay on the ground arms fully under ground holding onto a grown male CDT trying to get it out of a shallow burrow ...and let me tell you, they are solid solid muscle...so don't beat yourself up...harmless lesson learned...

And if you do want to take your turtle out for some actual sun time you certainly can...but perhaps if you have a tub you can set partially set out in the warmth/sun on a good weather day (be sure you have a secure top--the chicken wire size top) then you can do just that....

I will put the two RES ladies here out in the summer time in their sunning tubs....which is a large rabbit cage--plastic bottom that I put water in--then a basking rock/brick in the center---and the caged top...this allows them to be out for a few hours and protected from walking off and/or being flown off by predatory birds and or four legged critters....:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Placing a water turtle on the ground probably does nothing to it, they do spend time out of water on the ground, never heard of one burrowing before though. More than likely no harm done, try getting a CDT out of place you don't want it, now there is a battle.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
ascott, that rabbit cage thing is exactly what I did with mine before I gave him to someone with a pond! All he wanted to do was climb up the wire sides though, he was so not interested in basking. You know what bums me out, I just bought a place with a pond right after I gave him away lol. But he's happier now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ascott, that rabbit cage thing is exactly what I did with mine before I gave him to someone with a pond! All he wanted to do was climb up the wire sides though, he was so not interested in basking. You know what bums me out, I just bought a place with a pond right after I gave him away lol. But he's happier now.

Weda, the RES girls here will do that to for a bit...then when one discovers the basking spot the other one of course wants to come see what the interest is and then they take basking breaks then right back to trying to see out the cage sides....but I fill that bottom with water so if they do get a bit up and fall into the water---it is deep enough that they right themselves and are back in business....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.