I am new to Tortoise Forum and have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

animallover1999

5 Year Member
I am going to get a sulcata tortoise when a Repticon comes to my city. I wanted to do a little research and ask people with tortoises for their opinion on what it's best for a Sulcata tortoise. It is probably going to be a baby, don't know how old yet. I have some questions:

1.what should i look for when i an choosing a tortoise, health wise?

2. Is there an easy way to tell a boy from a girl?

3. What kind of enclosure should i keep it in until it gets big enough to go outside in my backyard?

4. What is the healthiest things i can feed it?

5. Anything important i need to know, so i can keep it healthy?

6. It's there a website that you would recommend? That has a good, detailed, accurate care guide?

7.I have dogs, so when the tortoise gets really big to where it has to be kept outside, they shouldn't be able to hurt it. Correct?

I have done some research, but i would like more opinions. Live in south Florida... If that would be important information when he/she gets big enough to put outside.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions and concerns :)

Gunter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Woodbridge,NJ
Cant answer most of these since I dont own a sulcata.

But for number 2 if it has a long "tail" and no * type of thing then its a male.If it has a short "tail" and does have a * thing its a female.

Also NEVER EVER LEAVE TORTOISES ALONE WITH DOGS NO MATTER WHAT SIZE.Just a precaution since you never know.For number 4 a thing to stay away from is iceberg lettuce since it has no nutrients.Also here is a caresheet http://www.sulcata-station.org/basics.html

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I am new to this forum as well I've only been here for about 6 weeks and this is what I ( as tom says) learned the hard way. I didn't know what I was doing and I picked a dying baby

The FIRST thing you need to do when you get one is TAKE IT TO THE VET

One thing you need to look at is there eyes and nose check for any discharge. Pay attention to the shell it is supose to be alittle soft when they are young but not "squishy". Look at the set up of the enclosure they are in and make sure you ask about what they are fed, what temps they have been kept at and what humidity.

When they are young there is basically no way to tell if it is a boy or girl

They like a lot of room and a lot of people here use tortoise tables or big plastic bins

They need a wide variety of food with High fiber low protein
Mostly grasses and some dark leafy greens a lot of people here use mazuri and different types of hay as well. I feed edible flowers like daisies and hybiscuss

One thing that is extreemly important for babies is hydration. 2-3 soaks in warm water daily and high humidity. Always have water available

I don't know any really consistant websites but tom on this forum has some great posts just look in the stickies

With your dogs it is questionable. It can go any way. It depends on the dog. I personally would not leave them aloan together

Welcome to the forum and please do lots of research.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, great advice Looneybug.

I forgot to say Hi & welcome! You came to the right place and I am excited to see what you get! I applaud you doing the research before you purchase your baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They are Toms.

Also, I recommend getting one from one of our long time members, like Tom or any of the many others that are long time members if this forum.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
animallover1999 said:
I am going to get a sulcata tortoise when a Repticon comes to my city. I wanted to do a little research and ask people with tortoises for their opinion on what it's best for a Sulcata tortoise. It is probably going to be a baby, don't know how old yet. I have some questions:

1.what should i look for when i an choosing a tortoise, health wise?

2. Is there an easy way to tell a boy from a girl?

3. What kind of enclosure should i keep it in until it gets big enough to go outside in my backyard?

4. What is the healthiest things i can feed it?

5. Anything important i need to know, so i can keep it healthy?

6. It's there a website that you would recommend? That has a good, detailed, accurate care guide?

7.I have dogs, so when the tortoise gets really big to where it has to be kept outside, they shouldn't be able to hurt it. Correct?

I have done some research, but i would like more opinions. Live in south Florida... If that would be important information when he/she gets big enough to put outside.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions and concerns :)

going to a reptile show, you will most likely be getting a hatching, which varies but are usually under a year. you will not be able to tell the sex until they are older. some breeders incubate the eggs at certain temps to yield the most of one sex, but it is still not guaranteed.

when choosing a baby, you obviously want the most active and alert one. the previous advice if good, check the eyes and nose for bubbles or discharge. and the shell should be a little flexible, but not soft. make sure they are not kept on sand and have access to a water dish at all times. they should be kept in high humidity, so if the enclosure is dry, or the baby has dry skin, i would veer away from them. the first year is crucial and they need a good foundation to start their 50+ years of life :D

an enclosure the size of a 50g rubbermaid tub would work for the first year, but after that, you will need to upgrade and build a larger tortoise table. sulcata tortoises grow to be huge, 100+ lbs and will probably out live you. as for an outdoor enclosure, it will need to be as large as you have room for, the bigger the better. they are notorious diggers and you must make sure they cannot dig under the perimeter or climb over it. and NEVER leave your tort attended with a dog. just put some hardwire cloth over the outside enclosure, that should be fine. like what was previously said, it varies with every animal, but never trust it with a baby. once it's maybe 40+lbs and the dog has been trained and is use to the tort, they could interact, but never unsupervised.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Although my tort isn't a sulcata, I just thought i'd mention you might want to think about a yearling or sub-adult. I've seen so many threads about cute baby torts that looked healthy go bad and die for no clear reason, often taking several weeks to do it and causing their heart broken owner to doubt themselves as suitable tort parents. A yearling or 1+ year old tort has proven itself to be healthy and strong enough to survive the first year. And since torts live to 80+ yrs old, a 1-2 year old is still very young. Just my 2 cents!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...first off you have come to the right place for information...lots of sulcata owners here..
Its impossible to tell the sex of a baby.
Look for clear eyes. Nothing comming out of its nose, make sure its not breathing from its mouth, check its underside.
Read the threads under my signature, there are lots of useful information..

Status
Not open for further replies.