I am new to tortoise and don't what is their type

sira

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
Thanks Team Gomberg
I will try to photograph the plastron, they rarely extend the tail, it is hidden most of the time

sira

Egypt
Thanks Elyce
Hi, welcome!

Can you take pictures of the plastron (the belly or underside) and of the tail? Then we can help you identify their genders. The behavior you saw could be breeding or it could be territory aggression. In most cases 2 tortoises living together won't do as well as they would if they lived alone.

Dear Team Gomberg
this is the best shot I could get for the plastron of both tortoises side-by-side

are they M & F?

best shot.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

IIzDaFury

Hello, My advice will be to make sure your giving them the correct diet and to make sure they can live together but also make preperations for the future, i'm not sure how big they will grow but i've seen some pretty big tortoise species, i know nothing of this particular species though :/

But i'm happy for you! They look beautiful! :D

sira

Egypt
Hi, welcome!

Can you take pictures of the plastron (the belly or underside) and of the tail? Then we can help you identify their genders. The behavior you saw could be breeding or it could be territory aggression. In most cases 2 tortoises living together won't do as well as they would if they lived alone.

Dear Team Gomberg,
this is the best shot I could get for the plastron. are they male and female? or what?

Attachments

• best shot.JPG
    best shot.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 22

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I agree.. I see 2 males. I've never handled Egyptian tortoises personally but the long tail with a "slit" cloaca is a classic male characteristic.
But don't let that upset you. Just make 2 separate enclosures and have 2 pets ;) :tort: :tort:

Kasia

Poland
Thanks Elyce

Dear Team Gomberg
this is the best shot I could get for the plastron of both tortoises side-by-side

are they M & F?

View attachment 167588

Do You know how old are they? I would guess one on the left female (cloaca looks like she had eggs) on the right male but it's just a guess

Good luck with this sweet couple :)

sira

Egypt
Do You know how old are they? I would guess one on the left female (cloaca looks like she had eggs) on the right male but it's just a guess

Good luck with this sweet couple :)
thanks for your comments

their ages are nearly 9 and 11. It is also a guess from the lines on their body

Tori Sparrow

Central Florida
I am delighted you are here. And am happy to learn that you have Egyptian tortoises!
Thank you for sharing your photos with us! I hope you & your children enjoy them greatly.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! ! ! !

They are so beautiful! ! ! ! ! !