hi i'm new

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
I have a 75 pound sulcata female, I've had since I was 12 im now 20.

Funny story, we found her roaming our Pennsylvanian neighborhood, my dad put her large grumpy self in his pick up truck and brought her home,
Honestly we had no idea what she was... me my parents and two sisters were just starting at her, googling what she was. My dad (being farm boy) figured she must be a mutant snapping turtle and thought she would love to get in our pond, so he stuck her in up to her mouth and surprise surprise, she didn't like it, nor did she float... So we took her out, and tried feeding her grasshoppers. She turned her nose... so we tried giving her other stuff, finally she ate dog food. so e left her out in our fenced yard with dog food and went in to call my aunt (the turtle expert) she came out and laughed, not only was she not native to our state, she want even native to our country. Haha she then told us how to care for her while we hunted for her owner, no one stepped forward, (think she got to large and they just let her go)

We have had her since, she was already very large when we got her, e had care errors inn the beginbning, now i'm inn love with sulcatas. She's a healthy bossy lady, she is a trouble maker and used to be an escape artist. She used to be best friends with my chicken (deceased) they would eat together, walk together, and sleep in the Ms.T's burrow together. She has the good life now....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D Thanks for the laugh. That's a great story. I'm glad and I am sure she is glad, that you got her figured out:D

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the story! :D NOW let's see some pictures of your monster!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi DoubleEm1991:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

I'd sure love to see some pictures of the tortoise. How do you care for her during the winter?

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
I will post pictures as soon as I figure it out, haha we keep her in a large homemade box in our basement we have sand, soil w/ edible shrubs, but this year she's getting a new box, she seemed a bit snug this year.

You can call me Emily!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

A giant mutated grasshopper-eating snapping turtle, huh? That's a great story. Thanks.

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
Laura said:
a box? how big is this box? is she kept warm?
pictures would be nice.
Welcome!

I don't know, I don't think I measured it (dad made it), it's wooden and really long, she loves to take walks so we tried to make her winter indoors more than the pens we found online... We thought the floor was too cool but it takes up most of the basement. I can get in and walk in it. Either way, she still prefers summer time... No winter home compares to her half acre yard,

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

A giant mutated grasshopper-eating snapping turtle, huh? That's a great story. Thanks.

Lol my dad is something else, we were used to the sliders and box turtles that run wild, so we tried to feed what they liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.