I am looking for a baby russain tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Hi everyone my name is Alec. I live in Redlands, California. I am looking for a baby russain tortoise to accompany my other one. Does anyone want to help me out?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Russians neither need nor want company. They are solitary in the wild and, in captivity, they aggressively defend their food and territory as they get older regardless of gender. They roam huge distances, they mate in passing and leave each other. They don't make happy couples.

Both genders fight. Butting and biting is Russian Tortoise romance. Blood is frequently drawn and the subordinate tortoise can be harassed into decline, illness and possibly death.

Also, any newcomer must be kept entirely separately from yours for a good 6 months in quarantine.

Don't get me wrong, Russians can be lovely tortoises, but there is a high risk that what's cute when they are smaller will not be so for long in the company of another RT. You should only get another if you can keep them entirely separately for quarantine and are prepared to accept that this may be a permanent arrangement.

Also, as they get older they really need a large enclosure outside to let off steam... again remember that they probably won't share this nicely. Groups of 3 or more Russians may work in a large outdoor enclosure.

If you want to breed them, introduce them to do the business and then separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.