I’m getting a tortoise on Sunday!!!!!

TotoroTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I’m getting a Russian tortoise this Sunday and I AM SOOO EXCITED. I keep thinking of random questions as I’m setting up the enclosure... first, what do you put below the ground/coconut mixture to protect the wood?
Thanks!! I’ll be sure to share photos!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can seal it with outdoor paint, line it with plastic, some put down vinyl tiles. Some don't seal it at all and it lasts for years.
While waiting on Sunday, be sure to read the Russian caresheet.
Congrats on your tort and don't forget to share pics.

TotoroTortoise

Seattle
You can seal it with outdoor paint, line it with plastic, some put down vinyl tiles. Some don't seal it at all and it lasts for years.
While waiting on Sunday, be sure to read the Russian caresheet.
Congrats on your tort and don't forget to share pics.
I read that a couple days ago, and then printed it and put it on our fridge! LOL! That’s going to be my tortoise bible.

TotoroTortoise

Seattle
Next question!

I live in an apartment and the neighbors have agreed to take my tortoise out when they’re outside (3-4 hours a day). What kind of take down outdoor enclosure might you recommend?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Since you are at an apt you would probably need something portable. A dog exercise pen would just need some fabric attached so the tort couldn’t sneak out through the fencing and for a shade cover.

Attachments

• 85D8A54A-09B1-477E-ADF4-7277327B4283.png
    85D8A54A-09B1-477E-ADF4-7277327B4283.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m getting a Russian tortoise this Sunday and I AM SOOO EXCITED. I keep thinking of random questions as I’m setting up the enclosure... first, what do you put below the ground/coconut mixture to protect the wood?
Thanks!! I’ll be sure to share photos!!
Where are you getting it? How old is it?

The best way to protect the wood is to not use wood.

Large kiddie pools from Walmart make easy and portable outdoor enclosures. Just be careful no to put the tortoise anywhere that gardeners have sprayed chemicals. Often they will tell you there are no sprayed chemicals because they think that is what you want to hear, when in fact there are. Be sure the neighbors know to watch temp carefully and make sure tortoise always has some shade available.

Just to make sure you've got the current care sheet, here it is again:

TotoroTortoise

Seattle
Where are you getting it? How old is it?

The best way to protect the wood is to not use wood.

Large kiddie pools from Walmart make easy and portable outdoor enclosures. Just be careful no to put the tortoise anywhere that gardeners have sprayed chemicals. Often they will tell you there are no sprayed chemicals because they think that is what you want to hear, when in fact there are. Be sure the neighbors know to watch temp carefully and make sure tortoise always has some shade available.

Just to make sure you've got the current care sheet, here it is again:
I’m getting him off Craigslist from someone who’s had him for over a year, they think he’s three.

Are you recommending a kiddie pool for indoor? The wood question was in regards to the indoor enclosure. What would you recommend for an indoor enclosure if not wood?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I used a dog exercise pen this summer with my new RT before I can build him a proper enclosure. I have enclosures but they are for shade loving turtles. I need to build one for a sun loving one. Next spring I plan on doing that. good luck with your new RT!