Hydrangea - how toxic?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello folks. My 3lb Redfoot just ate a 2x2in price of hydrangea leaf while I was in the process of fencing it off - does anyone know HOW toxic it is? The deer around here love them. Hoping the worse that happens is an upset tummy.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
That is the first place I went. I was hoping to possibly hear from someone with experience or knowledge on the subject.

I'm just going to fill his belly with tummy foods to dilute it and see if I can get it to pass quickly. Not sure how long it would take to take effect but he is acting fine.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I would keep an eye on him. But I personally don't think it's going to hurt him. Just make sure you monitor him closer for few days. If he keeps eating that's good. If he stops that can be red flags.

Kyle

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He's acting like his usual @$$**** self. Active, eating, chasing the girls.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I believe he'll be safe, If hes fine now. TTT did also say it'll cause a tummy ache and possibly some nasty diarrhea so I'd say just make sure hes hydrated. Maybe feed some yummys so he can poop it all out

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I tend to not worry, but we just moved and I'm still getting things set up. Still learning the plants as well. He only ate the one leaf so I'm hoping it wasn't to his liking.

Reactions: Rue

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I worry all the time, lol . Just sit him down & tell him to behave. Im sure he'll find it in his loving heart to listen.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He's such a brat, he's been ramming and humping the girls so he's on time out. I don't think it phased him

Rue

Canada
I'm glad to hear he's none the worse for his toxic experience!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
With the massive amount of hydrangeas I have witnessed deer munching on I feel like it can't be THAT toxic, though I realize a tiny tortoise and a deer are very different.