Hurricane, anyone??? Hey Tom...!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, as I write, the remnants of Hurricane Hillary, now downgraded, are nearly over my head. I'm on the eastern edge of the track it's taking. We're having wind that so far hasn't been too bad, doubtfully causing any damage at this point.

Rain, however, is a different story. The wash that I posted above is once again a raging river. Fortunately, I don't think it will overflow its banks. If it does, I'll be the first one hit in my area.

I am under an "evacuation warning", but no orders to leave. Actually, I don't think I could leave if I wanted to. The washes flood the roads, and there are washes all around this area. Not that I would leave anyway. No way I'm leaving any pets behind...I could not live with myself.

But the rain is coming in bands, which helps the washes stay where they belong. The experts are saying 5-7in for us today into tomorrow...our average YEARLY rainfall is about 3 in, with less than that the past few years because of the drought.

I've brought Sulafat inside even though he hates being in. If the wash did overflow, his enclosure would be under water, and I think he would hate that even more! :)

I've done what I can...filled water containers, gas tank full, charging all devices while we still have power, etc. I'm much better off than lots of people since I have emergency food, water filters and purification, a camp stove, and an 1800 watt electric generator that can be charged from solar panels (when there's sun-- not today!)

Anyway, that's the latest from the drenched SoCal low desert...signing off for now. 🌧️
🌬️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well - California does NOT like to be outdone, so we got to have an earthquake on top of our Hurricane. We'll take a bow now. Thankyouverymuch

Not sure if we have any members here near Ojai where it was centered. Not a big one, but definitely noticeable
Lololol. I was waiting for a post something like that.😁if landslides, drought, fires and earthquakes aren't enough to chase you out nothing will.🏄🚣

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well, as I write, the remnants of Hurricane Hillary, now downgraded, are nearly over my head. I'm on the eastern edge of the track it's taking. We're having wind that so far hasn't been too bad, doubtfully causing any damage at this point.

Rain, however, is a different story. The wash that I posted above is once again a raging river. Fortunately, I don't think it will overflow its banks. If it does, I'll be the first one hit in my area.

I am under an "evacuation warning", but no orders to leave. Actually, I don't think I could leave if I wanted to. The washes flood the roads, and there are washes all around this area. Not that I would leave anyway. No way I'm leaving any pets behind...I could not live with myself.

But the rain is coming in bands, which helps the washes stay where they belong. The experts are saying 5-7in for us today into tomorrow...our average YEARLY rainfall is about 3 in, with less than that the past few years because of the drought.

I've brought Sulafat inside even though he hates being in. If the wash did overflow, his enclosure would be under water, and I think he would hate that even more! :)

I've done what I can...filled water containers, gas tank full, charging all devices while we still have power, etc. I'm much better off than lots of people since I have emergency food, water filters and purification, a camp stove, and an 1800 watt electric generator that can be charged from solar panels (when there's sun-- not today!)

Anyway, that's the latest from the drenched SoCal low desert...signing off for now. 🌧️
🌬️
🙏🤗To you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well - California does NOT like to be outdone, so we got to have an earthquake on top of our Hurricane. We'll take a bow now. Thankyouverymuch

Not sure if we have any members here near Ojai where it was centered. Not a big one, but definitely noticeable
No no. TWO earthquakes AND a tornado in San Diego!

Hardly any wind at my place, but lots and lots of rain. Had to dig some drainage channels in some of the tortoise pens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

🌬️
You are awesome! So prepared. If you have to leave, you are welcome at my house. And we certainly don't mind you bringing animals.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm in the San Joaquin Valley, between Bakersfield and Fresno. We've had rain most of the day but not super heavy. It's supposed to get worse tonight. Yesterday we had some winds but not much now. Charlie usually sleeps outside during the summer. I plugged his heaters back in last night and I'm pleased that he decided to go in his house this afternoon. He's got his head out, watching the rain. His house is on our porch, next to the house, under an overhang. When it rains hard, the water can pool up near the entrance of his house but it has never got inside.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
They predicated the worst of it would start around 6pm local time where I am (LA proper), and while we have almost no wind (which is what I was expecting to be the worst) it is a LOT OF RAIN. My outdoor drains can't handle it, which means my garage has started to flood a bit. I already have Fezzik's enclosure up on pavers and the electrical off the floor, but i only have one small tortoise. I don't know how people with lots of them or larger ones manage it...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are awesome! So prepared. If you have to leave, you are welcome at my house. And we certainly don't mind you bringing animals.
A very generous offer, and I thank you. But the majority of rain is getting close to ending down here in the bottom of SoCal. It's you folks in the top part that are still getting drenched...you're welcome here too, but you might not want to bring ALL of your animals! 😂 I don't mind, in fact I think that might be a lot of fun, but space is limited!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Stay safe everyone! Right now, there's one called Franklin who I sure hope will do as it's told and start that turn north while also not doing too much damage to Puerto Rico and Dom Rep! It's huge.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How's it going in SoCal and Nevada this morning?
I must admit...it's nice to see sunshine this morning! 🌤️ Still lots of clouds, but the sun is peeking through them. I just saw some birds landing in my tree, and realized that I didn't see a single bird yesterday! 🐦 I wonder where they all go to hunker down for what must be terrifying for them.

Everything I can see from the house looks good. The ground looks beat up, but the water has run off or sunk in. I can see water running across the road from the wash, but cars are making it through. Last evening there were 3 huge machines working to scrape the mud off the road, so that has surely helped.

I haven't been out to survey the neighborhood yet, but hopefully the water that was running in the streets has subsided, and no one has flooding in their homes.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It was pretty crazy, TONS of rain and (for me) absolutely zero wind -- like not any. Not even what you see in a regular rain storm. I had some minor garage flooding b/c a storm drain in my driveway gets stopped up with leaves, and water came in unexpectedly through a doggie door, but other than that, that's it.

Fezzik's outdoor enclosure has a giant puddle though, I expect the wood is going to rot sooner than I'd hoped 8-(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nothing to report here in Central Cal. Power was out for about an hour Saturday evening, but that might have been a car hitting a power pole. yes, it was a bit windy, but nothing to write home about. Rained and sprinkled off and on Sunday but the little puddle in my wagon didn't even cover the whole floor of the wagon. I had to dig a hole this a.m. and the ground saturation wasn't even down a half inch.

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Nothing to report here in Central Cal. Power was out for about an hour Saturday evening, but that might have been a car hitting a power pole. yes, it was a but windy, but nothing to write home about. Rained and sprinkled off and on Sunday but the little puddle in my wagon didn't even cover the whole floor of the wagon. I had to dig a hole this a.m. and the ground saturation wasn't even down a half inch.
Glad you and the torts are safe and sound