Hurricane, anyone??? Hey Tom...!

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello :) we hail from Los Angeles, it is forecasted for us to get 3" of rain on Sunday and Monday. Commute for work might get rough but we will be ok :). Me, Hubby and our little Mr Darwin will stay indoors as much as possible :tort: .
Hopefully everyone will stay safe on the path of the Hurricane, Mexico :<3: and SoCal :<3:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I plan on putting Fezzik into his indoor enclosure. Hurricane aside, the idea of getting any kind of rain in AUGUST is just bonkers here. We don't usually get rain until November or December, some years later, and too many years NEVER.

EricW

Houston, TX
Fill up your gas tanks, get cash, buy bottle water, and get some foods that don't spoil outside the fridge. I been through plenty of storms and you just never know. Sometimes tropical storms are worse than Cat 1 Hurricanes. Wind speeds are something, but the amount of rain is going to be the challenge. Saying up to 5" in Palm Springs. That's crazy. That is probably similar to what Hurricane Harvey did in Houston.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've never heard of California getting a hurricane in my life. That doesn't mean they don't get them. I've just never heard of it and I watch the news all most everyday. Wow.🙏🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Right now its 90 degrees and sunny! I'm one of those people who never has less than a half tank of gas anyway (I'm an earthquake prepper) and my garage has enough clean water to last me and dogs quite a while. Honestly LA's biggest issue is that many water pipes are more than 100 years old and crumbling as is. When the big one hits, the city is going to be without clean water for a very very long time... I will be fine, my house was built in the 40s and is one level, no basement. But a lot of places here aren't built for wind. We get the Santa Anas which are about 40mph max. This is estimated to be between 40-80 mph - assuming the forecasts are correct.

The strays and homeless here are going to get the worst of it...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Right now its 90 degrees and sunny! I'm one of those people who never has less than a half tank of gas anyway (I'm an earthquake prepper) and my garage has enough clean water to last me and dogs quite a while. Honestly LA's biggest issue is that many water pipes are more than 100 years old and crumbling as is. When the big one hits, the city is going to be without clean water for a very very long time... I will be fine, my house was built in the 40s and is one level, no basement. But a lot of places here aren't built for wind. We get the Santa Anas which are about 40mph max. This is estimated to be between 40-80 mph - assuming the forecasts are correct.

The strays and homeless here are going to get the worst of it...
I'm more afraid of tornadoes than hurricanes. At least you get a bit of warning for hurricanes and might be able to not be in a direct hit. It pays to try and be prepared anyway. If you lose electricity around here you have nothing. No lights, no heat etc. Frozen broken pipes are not any better.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here in the low desert we already know that if we get rain, the washes fill up and become raging torrents that easily push cars and trucks off the roads. I have one of these washes a couple hundred feet from my house, and it has flodded before. But thankfully the banks are high enough that I don't think it would ever overflow.

I will probably have to bring Sulafat inside, even though his enclosure is way too small for him now and he hates being in it. He won't use a burrow, or even go into an igloo dog house that's available. He just sinks himself into some leaf litter under a bush and rides out whatever comes.

Speaking of enclosures...is there any one reasonably close to me that could build one of Tom's heated night boxes for me? It's beyond my carpentry skills, and I have no one that I trust to do it right. Otherwise I am going to be forced to go with an insulated dog house from Amazon and mount the RHP and Kane mat in it. Fortunately our winters are very mild...we get a few nights in the upper 30's, but mostly 40's and 50's. PM me if anyone is interested. I have the parts list and build plan.

This is the wash in March of 2020...by far the worst I've seen it in 10 years of living here.

20200312_135153.jpg20200312_135202.jpg
View attachment 20200312_134405_1.mp420200312_134621.jpg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Here in the low desert we already know that if we get rain, the washes fill up and become raging torrents that easily push cars and trucks off the roads. I have one of these washes a couple hundred feet from my house, and it has flodded before. But thankfully the banks are high enough that I don't think it would ever overflow.

I will probably have to bring Sulafat inside, even though his enclosure is way too small for him now and he hates being in it. He won't use a burrow, or even go into an igloo dog house that's available. He just sinks himself into some leaf litter under a bush and rides out whatever comes.

Speaking of enclosures...is there any one reasonably close to me that could build one of Tom's heated night boxes for me? It's beyond my carpentry skills, and I have no one that I trust to do it right. Otherwise I am going to be forced to go with an insulated dog house from Amazon and mount the RHP and Kane mat in it. Fortunately our winters are very mild...we get a few nights in the upper 30's, but mostly 40's and 50's. PM me if anyone is interested. I have the parts list and build plan.

This is the wash in March of 2020...by far the worst I've seen it in 10 years of living here.

View attachment 360531View attachment 360532
View attachment 360533View attachment 360534
How big is he?

It’s beautiful there, flooding aside

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here I am! We will see what happens, but I'm skeptical. I'm 50 miles from the west coast at the very northern end of Los Angeles county out in the rural country side. This "hurricane" is coming from the south, and it will have to cross hundreds of miles of land before it gets to me. I took down my shade umbrellas and EZ-Ups, but I just can't imagine it will be any worse than the storms we usually see in winter, only much warmer than those winter cold fronts. We shall see. Rain in August is non-existent here. It will be bizarre if water falls from the sky during summer time.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here I am! We will see what happens, but I'm skeptical. I'm 50 miles from the west coast at the very northern end of Los Angeles county out in the rural country side. This "hurricane" is coming from the south, and it will have to cross hundreds of miles of land before it gets to me. I took down my shade umbrellas and EZ-Ups, but I just can't imagine it will be any worse than the storms we usually see in winter, only much warmer than those winter cold fronts. We shall see. Rain in August is non-existent here. It will be bizarre if water falls from the sky during summer time.
It's not the winds you should be concerned with it's the amount of rainfall. It will be a tropical storm when it reaches you not a hurricane with high winds. Something is coming to California and Nevada that hasn't happened since the 1930s. We had a tropical storm named Lee that showed up in here September 2011 that dropped 12 inches of rain in 24 hours. It washed out many roads, bridges and crossways.that took over a year to repair some of them. Good Luck to everyone affected by Hilary.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How big is he?

It’s beautiful there, flooding aside
He's about 6" in length. Not very big. And recently he has found or constructed a new hiding place, good enough that I haven't found it. It scared me the 1st time I failed, but then he magically appeared. I know other places he spends his time, but not this one (yet).