humidity!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was just mixing warm water with the dirt and turning it every other day and that seems to keep the humidity up better than the humidifier i just put in today. Although having to do this (mixing in water) is very time consuming with a busy schedule, I was wondering if you guys have found an easier way to maintain it. THanks :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I pour in a quart of water every few days under the hot side, as well having a ultrasonic humidifier running 24/7 (would be running less than that, but I had to snatch my timer to use with my new tort). I also keep the enclosure about 65% covered... enough to let the light in but hopefully hold the heat and humidity in as well. It seems to work well for me, though I'd like to pump the ambient temps up a bit more.

On a side note, how are Ophelia and Dehlia doing?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
Okay ill try that, i think i want to make one side warmer and then ill poor some water in on that side :) and they're doing alright ha ha sometimes OPhelia (the man) wont leave Dehlia alone but after i remove him he usually gets the hint and will leave her alone. for now they are doing well and they hangout together all the time, really hoping i dont have to seperate them later down the road!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I use submersable heat cord under compost. On top of that some cypress mulch. Stays like a jungle in the vivarium.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
jackrat said:
I use submersable heat cord under compost. On top of that some cypress mulch. Stays like a jungle in the vivarium.

Likewise!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
+1 for waterproof heating rope. I use this: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes. Install it per directions (there is also a helpful video), and use a decent substrate on top (I use cypress much).

How it works is simple. Make sure the bottom few inches of the habitat is watertight, and that the substrate touches the cable. You just pour water in the substrate and it pools up in the bottom. The heating cable heats it to about 90ish. The substrate material wicks it up where the large surface area lets it vaporize into warm, humid air. The warm, humid air rises up past the tortoises, warming and humidifying them at the same time.

A partially covered habitat will slow the rise and 'escape' of the warm humidity and raise the humidity levels even more- but since the system is ALWAYS making it, as long as there is heat and water, that is not a big deal.

There are other ways to do it too, depending on your situation. Even a large tropical fish tank can humidify a small room enough all on its own!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm in the same boat as you now that's it's winter. It's a full time job misting. I think I'm going to try the heat cables.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
heyprettyrave said:
i believe that my enclose is water tight, are those heating ropes safe to use? i need a simpler way and I have looked at them before but i always end up not getting them. ill look into them and that might be the best solution for them

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes
is this what you would suggest?

Those are the ones I use and they haven't caused any issues yet.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
okay, well then i might buy some then. itd be alot easier then misting all the time :p

which wattage should i get for it though?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
heyprettyrave said:
okay, well then i might buy some then. itd be alot easier then misting all the time :p

which wattage should i get for it though?

I built a table that is 4.5ftx2.5ft, the 12 foot (20 watt) is able to cover just under half of the enclosure while not over lapping on itself.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
now i am confused, do you lay it on the bottom of the enclosure? and then you put the dirt on top, or can you do a small layer of dirt, then the heat rope then do the rest of the dirt? I have a wooden enclosure that is lined with tarp so im kinda concerned

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Mine is in a glass vivarim,ran through suction cup type holders on the bottom of the viv.Dirt and cypress is on top. A thermostat wire goes into the soil. Its connected to a digital controller. You just dial the temp desired.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
heyprettyrave said:
does this replace your heating lights?
I have a CHE heating the air inside the viv,but it is turned way down. It doesn't take much additional heat to maintain 85 degrees throught the viv.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
My table has a rubber pond liner, I put a little soil down (1/2 inch) then the heat rope, then more soil and cypress on the top. The rope is connected to a rheostat.

I run a 60 and 100W CHE on opposite ends to heat the air, they're both connected to a Zoo Med thermostat.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
okay thank you, that was my concern with my enclosure because it is wood and then it has a tarp liner and i wasnt exactly sure if it would be safe or not... but i figured putting dirt in between the rope and the bottom would help/ make it alot safer

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can use a layer of sand, but then you'll have to 'fill' the sand before any water reaches the cables. You can also do something like a plate of glass or the heat-resistant rigid plastics. I use a hardware mesh under my cables to both keep them a little off the bottom*, and to let me use wire tie wraps to secure the cables.

*- in the interest of full disclosure, the Tortarium has a sheet of black ABS plastic on the bottom, caulked to the clear plastic walls, and the original cables were taped directly to that. After springing a leak about a month after starting, I discovered that the ABS was warped- but it showed no signs of melting or overheating. That is when I went to the mesh under the cables.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
heyprettyrave said:
does this replace your heating lights?
No, I think you still need the lights. It just creates warmth in the substrate which makes humidity. I know it works well because when I put my dart frog viv on top of the tortoise viv the heat from the CHE has creating humidity in the frog viv. I hardly ever mist anymore. It's like a rain forest.

I just talked myself into a cable. We should try it together and report back heyprettyrave.

Status
Not open for further replies.