Humidity

Jake1997

I recently built a tortoise box and I am trying to keep it humid but it levels off at around 30-40%. I have some peat moss in there but it does not seem to work. I spray it occasionally also. Any Ideas on how to keep up the humidity? Also there is some small gaps at the top, maybe its letting some of the humidity out.
IMG_1441.JPG

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
You probably have your substrata to dry soak it down good , take a few cups of water or whatever it takes to saturate it ! Make sure your minimum temps are 80 degrees !

Rue

Canada
Nice enclosure! :)

I have a small enclosure with an open top for my hatchling. To keep the humidity up I mist heavily 2X a day. I put a litre of water into it per day.

Jake1997

okay yeah it stays pretty warm but i only spray it about twice a day. so ill spray it more

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
okay yeah it stays pretty warm but i only spray it about twice a day. so ill spray it more
Spraying it will only moisten the top layer of substrata , until it evaporates and dries out because of the heat . You will know you are getting it right when your glass viewing window starts to fog up a bit . ;)

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Adding water and mixing the water into the substrate is far more effective than spraying.
Give that a try, you might be surprised with the results.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Here you go , this is a picture of Speedys 60 gallon tank at between 70 and 80 % humidity . Notice the moisture on the glass .

100_7968.jpg

It is also probably a good reason I never had to be concerned about Speedy trying to walk through the glass . ;)

Jake1997

nice! is your enclose completely sealed. Mine has a few gaps between the plexiglass and the wood and there is no way of covering them.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
nice! is your enclose completely sealed. Mine has a few gaps between the plexiglass and the wood and there is no way of covering them.

No it isn't , it has 2 sliding screened tops which I covered with plastic on one side and aluminum foil on the side with the light. the doors don't fit tight , I cut a hole in the screen to lower the light , the chord for my CHE runs through one door so I cant close it tight . These are all minor , as long as my substrata is moist enough !