Humidity Won't Hold

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know it seems like a lot for you, but you're doing a good job. Once you get it all set up and it's running correctly, it easy peasy from then on.

FelicityExotics

El Paso
Here are the problems that I see:
  • Having the lights outside the enclosure creates a chimney effect. As the warm air inside the enclosure rises up and out through the portals for the heat lamps and the gaps in the top of the enclosure, it pulls colder, dry room air into the enclosure.
  • The substrate you are using doesn't do enough to inhibit the growth of microbes. Keeping it warm and damp creates a nutrient rich place for all sorts of fungi, molds and bacteria to grow. This is why we recommend orchid bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch. Each of these has properties that inhibit the growth of microbes, so you can maintain a warm, damp environment with out the fuzzy stuff growing.
  • They eat the moss and it can cause an impaction. You don't need it and it doesn't do anything for your tortoise. I'd remove it before it causes a problem.

Its GREAT that you are growing your own food and using safe weeds from outside to feed him! :)
Thank you so much Tom! I can't move the lights in, but they are as airtight as my grandfather and I could get them, which should help the chimney effect somewhat. I'm fine if I have to add some water in every day or two to keep up humidity, I'll just add it into my plant watering routine. :)

I kept that substrate in, removed the moss, and added the ReptiBark substrate on top--it says it's fir bark, I packed it down so Durda could walk easy on it. He's currently patrolling his domain, after which I assume he's gonna munch on the geraniums I gave him as a peace offering for rearranging his house!

I bought a 25W CHE to go on the cool side of the box because at night it gets down to about 68°, which I don't like. So hopefully that little CHE will help keep nighttime temps up. If not, I'll get a larger one. Is everything else okay? His temps hold good during the day and I've been able to keep the humidity hovering at 65-75%. I know 80% is ideal, I'm working to get there; but is it okay for now with his daily soaks and humid hide?

FelicityExotics

El Paso
His urates are rock hard...I'm doing his daily soaks and keeping the humidity no lower than 50%, but mostly at about 65%-70%. Is there anything else I can do to fix the urate thing, or will it solve itself with time?

Smgambill

Ohio
What is the humidity suppose to be for a 2-3 month old leopard tortoise? I have done so much reading and there are so many conflicting percentages.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What is the humidity suppose to be for a 2-3 month old leopard tortoise? I have done so much reading and there are so many conflicting percentages.

80-100%. Be sure to give these a read -
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

And take it from someone who did over a year of research before finding the forum- only research on the forum. Most info I found before was completely outdated :/